"Well, we should run priors in the area. This might not be his first party." Derek says.

"All 3 victims were reported missing last week, and each of the bodies was discovered more than 30 miles from where they went missing." Hotch says.

"Any indication of sexual assault?" JJ asks.

"No external signs, but time in the water might have destroyed evidence." Hotch says. "Autopsies are being conducted now."

"And I'm gonna make matters worse. This is Nick Skirvin and he was abducted early this morning." Penelope says.

"Witness reports indicate a blitz attack." Hotch says.

"His friends were on the water and saw a figure strike Nick from behind just before they lost contact." JJ says.

"Could they give a description?" Derek asks.

"Uh, probably white, definitely male." JJ says.

"Nothing more specific. They said the unsub had dragged Nick into the woods by the time they reached the shore." Hotch says.

"Fast and efficient, and he is unafraid of a heavy police presence." Emily says.

"If he's dumping the bodies in one location, it's a good bet the area means something to him." Rossi says. "He probably lives in or near the forest."

"Unfortunately, Angeles National Forest is 1,016 square miles of terrain, ranging in elevation from 1,2000 to 10,064 feet." Spencer says.

"Which means if the unsub is familiar with the area, Nick Skirvin could be anywhere." Emily says.

+++

"With no apparent evidence of physical violence or sexual assault, we could be looking at an unsub who gets off on the torture of drowning." Derek says.

"So what's the significance of the water burial?" JJ asks. "Is he visiting the dump sites to relive his crimes, or is he using it as a forensic countermeasure?"

"It could be both." Hotch says. "If the dump site's doubling as his trophy collection, he won't be happy it's been disturbed. He'll want to make a new one quickly."

"Uh, guys, I'm afraid that's just happened." Penelope says. "Nick Skirvin's body has been recovered, only it wasn't found in Ridge Canyon, it was found in Lake Banter, which is 20 miles away. Visual aid to follow. And postscript, you do not want to know how many hits you get if you Google this forest plus murder. To say it should be called the Angeles National Unsub Dump Site is an understatement."

"How was the body recovered so quickly?" Bedelia asks.

"It wasn't way down. Nick's body was just found at the edge of the lake by some campers." Penelope says.

"Garcia, start compiling a list of missing persons and crimes in the area." Hotch says.

"Faster than a Hotch Rocket." Penelope says. Her eyes widen in panic and she quickly hangs up.

"So the unsub knew that his burial site had been compromised, and he adapted by venturing outside his comfort zone." Hotch says.

"And he changed his victimology." Emily says. She holds her tablet up. "Look at Nick Skirvin compared to the other 3 victims. They were all dark haired, well built men, but Nick is an average blonde."

"He could be an impulsive kill, not thought out like the others." Rossi says.

"Then why not submerge the body?" Spencer asks. "Allowing it to be discovered so soon seems counterintuitive to the self-preservation instincts he's displayed so far."