062. with friends like these...

Depuis le début

"It could also be used to remove victims' blood from clothing." Ashley says.

"Think about this, though, the visions that schizophrenics have can be interpreted as demons. What do some people do when they think they have demons inside of them?" Spencer questions.

"They could get an exorcism." Derek says.

"Holy water is used in exorcisms." Rossi says.

"What about the salt?" Ashley asks.

"Salt is used in exorcisms and a variety of religious healings." Spencer says.

"What are you looking for?" Bedelia asks.

"The number of churches in the comfort zone. 3." Spencer says.

"All right, let's see if any of them keep their doors open late." Hotch says.

+++

"Okay, here we go. I looked at that list of schizophrenics that have been recently arrested in that 40 mile radius." Penelope says. "I cross-checked it with ones that have gone to local pharmacies to get schizophrenia medication like Thorazine or Prolixin."

"Any of them have prescriptions filled for sleeping medication as well?" Hotch asks.

"Yes, one. Ben Foster, he has a prescription for Thorazine and Ambien." Penelope says.

"It's likely he uses the money from the stolen items to buy the pills." Ashley says.

"What's his background, baby girl?" Derek asks.

"He moved to Portland 3 years ago. A month ago he was in an apartment fire, after which he got a sleeping pill medication because his insomnia began again. Oh, my. When he was 10, he was questioned during an investigation about a fire that killed 3 people."

"It could be part of the homicidal triad." Rossi says.

"I'm looking at the police report right now. It turns out 2 months before, his mom had a local minister perform an exorcism on him, and the three people who were killed in the fire helped perform that exorcism." Penelope says.

"Was Ben charged?" Rossi asks.

"No. He was acquitted in juvie court." Penelope says.

"You got an address?" Hotch asks.

"Uh, 2627 Halden Way." Penelope states.

+++

They get to the address and get out of the cars. Hotch and Rossi go in through the front door while the others go around back.

"He's out back!" They hear Derek shout.

They walk around the neighborhood as they try to find Ben.

Hotch, Bedelia, and Spencer are walking around and have holstered their guns. They stop and look around, Madelyn looks at the house they're in front of, watching a young boy close the curtains on one of the windows. The three share looks.

"I think we've got something at 2218." Hotch says, the three going to the back.

They quietly get into the house after the others get there.

"Ben, drop the knife." Hotch orders.

"Shoot me." Ben says.

"Ben, we're not gonna shoot you." Spencer says. "But we do need you to put down that knife, okay?" He holsters his gun. Bedelia tenses up a little, keeping her eye on Ben. "All right, where are the other people in this room, Ben?"

"Right there. You see him?" Ben asks.

"Right here?" Spencer asks. "Were they there for the exorcism?"

"Mm-hmm." Ben nods. "I didn't kill them, though. I didn't do it." He says. "And I'm not lying!"

"Ben, they're dead and they can't hurt you anymore." Hotch says.

"They can't?" He asks.

"No, Ben. Your mind is playing tricks on you." Derek says. "Once you get help, it'll all stop."

"Yes, you are." Ben says, looking behind Spencer. "Okay. All right, I killed you, I set the fire."

"Ben, listen to us. It's okay." Bedelia tells him. "Were gonna get you a doctor's help. I promise."

"No. The-- the only way that you can help me is if you do it -- if you kill me." Ben says, crying, holding onto the two kids.

"Ben, that's not true. Listen, the only way we can help you is if you put the knife down and let us get you help." Spencer says.

"Are you sure that'll work?" Ben asks.

"Oh, I'm absolutely sure of it. Put that knife down, okay?" Spencer tells him.

"Okay." He nods, letting go of the kids. They run off, Ashley taking them outside. "Okay." Ben  lunges at Spencer with the knife and Bedelia doesn't waste a second to shoot him, making him fall to the floor.

"We need an ambulance." Spencer says into the ear piece.

+++

Spencer and Bedelia are at her apartment and he's lying on the couch, watching the random show she put on TV. Bedelia walks into the room, putting the cup of tea on the coffee table.

"You have a headache?" She asks.

"Yeah." He mumbles. "But I, uh, I found somebody who I think can help get rid of them. Just hope it works."

"Me, too." Bedelia says.

Spencer sniffles, rubbing his face, his hands running over the drying tear stains.

"I'm sorry." He tells her.

"For what?" She frowns, sitting by his feet. Spencer sits up, crossing his legs.

"Expecting you to comfort me all the time. You're grieving, too." Spencer says. Bedelia rolls her lips into her mouth.

"It's okay. I don't mind comforting you." Bedelia says.

"I can comfort you, too." Spencer says.

"And you do. There's nothing to worry about." Bedelia tells him.

"You sure?" He asks.

Bedelia hesitates, the woman losing the ability to breathe for a moment.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure." She smiles.