047. the longest night

Start from the beginning

"A spokesperson at the crime scene was talking about the RV and about Ellie." Spencer says.

"So this guy knows exactly what we know." Derek says.

"That might force him to dump the RV." Rossi says.

"Or kill--" Bedelia starts but her gaze lands on Derek and she shuts her mouth, averting her gaze from him.

"No, I don't think so." Rossi argues.

"Why not, Rossi?" Derek asks.

"Well, he could have killed you and the sister. He didn't. He kept you alive. He can't be surprised that we know what he's driving and that he has a hostage." Rossi says.

"But how many news radio stations are there in Los Angeles?" Spencer asks.

"I don't know, about 20 or so." Karzbard says.

"We can't just guess which one he listens to." Hotch says.

"What about the emergency alert system?" JJ asks. "It would be away to communicate over all the stations simultaneously."

"How do we do that?" Emily asks.

"I don't really know. How hard could it be to work out?" JJ questions, walking off.

+++

The unsub did ditch his trailer and kill somebody else, the team there now.

"He cut her hair." Spencer notes, seeing all the hair on the floor.

"I swear to God, when I get my hands on this son of a--" Derek says.

"That actually might be good." Spencer says, cutting the end of Derek's threat off. "Why disguise somebody you're gonna kill?" Derek looks through the cabinets.

"Here's how he stays awake all night." Derek says.

"Look at this article on Spicer." Spencer says.

"We already know he was obsessed with all the attention Spicer was getting." Derek says as Spencer hands him the paper.

"Yeah, but look what's underlined 3 times." Spencer says.

""8 year old, Ellie, bright, happy child."" Derek reads. ""I don't normally take to kids, but this one's just special.""

"What?" Bedelia asks.

"That's what he said back at the house. Ellie was his target all along, not Spicer." Derek says.

+++

"Dr. Reid, you're on your own cellular." Penelope comments as she answers the phone.

"Yeah. The power came back here a few minutes ago." Spencer says. He and Bedelia are standing in the hallway.

"How's my main man doing?" Penelope asks.

"On the completely safe assumption that you're not talking about me, let's just say I wouldn't want to be this unsub when Morgan finally gets his hands on him." Spencer says.

"That bad, huh?" Penelope asks.

"Has he ever yelled at you before?" Spencer asks.

"Touche." Penelope says, laughing. "And, also, sweet cheeks, you for sure know whose main man you are." She says.

"What?" Spencer frowns. "I'm not-- who?"

"You know who." Penelope says.

"I-- I really don't. What are you--"

"Okay, I don't know if you're playing dumb or actually clueless, but open your freaking eyes, boy wonder." Penelope tells him making Spencer frown. His gaze flickers to Bedelia for a moment.