Chapter 6

Duan Wu decided to follow Yan Zi Jing mainly because she saw Xiao Song Shu. However, it wasn't because Xiao Song Shu was captured by human traffickers that she succumbed to Yan Zi Jing's intimidation. After the lesson with La La, Duan Wu became more cautious with other children. Rather than saying she wanted to rescue Xiao Song Shu from Yan Zi Jing's cage, it was more about understanding why Xiao Song Shu appeared by the Baiyu River.

Last night, she experienced too much by Wei Chi Wuyi's side. On the way back to the mansion, Duan Wu, who seemed to be asleep, couldn't help but feel puzzled. After experiencing astonishment, pain, joy, and fear, the Wei Chi Wuyi in her eyes was no longer the same as when she first met him. With over a decade of experience, she wasn't convinced enough to believe in the ease of life, the refined man, and the brilliance of the Baiyu Kingdom. Could happiness in this world come so easily? Does one encounter extraordinary events and instantly transition from bitter to sweet? Undoubtedly, she, with her ability to recognize treasures, wasn't enough to convince herself. Was Young Master Wei Chi, who lived a comfortable life, a refined man, and part of the glorious Baiyu Kingdom, secretly hoping for the little slave in the distant South Sea Bay? Were the women behind the locked iron gate also assistants to the Baiyu Kingdom?

The people of the Pearl Picking Bureau were indifferent, and Duan Wu was used to not causing trouble, trying her best to be pleasant. If she was told to carry a spittoon, she would love the spittoon. If she was told to chase flies, she would love the flyswatter. If she was told to calculate on an abacus, she would dream about the abacus, not to mention later dealing with pearls at the trading house every day. Although she was thousands of miles away from Lianzhou, habits couldn't change overnight. Judging by Wei Chi's attitude toward Yan Zi Jing at the gate, if she chose to stay, Wei Chi would have to fall out with the old acquaintance Yan Zi Jing. Whether or not they fell out, with Yan Zijing's connections, Wei Chi would offend the prestigious Prince Nou Min's residence and other noble figures in the capital. In any case, this was not what Duan Wu wanted.

Following Yan Zi Jing was both a matter of seizing the opportunity and avoiding owing Wei Chi.

Thinking of this, Duan Wu sighed, no longer feeling foolish about herself.

Xiao Song Shu's face was grayish, and Duan Wu knelt down, patting his shoulder, "Hey, hang in there! Do you really want people to say that the poet's son is weak in the bones?"

Xiao Song Shu made a few groans. Listening to the not-so-fast camel bell sound, Duan Wu's mood tightened. She lifted the curtain of the carriage, shouting anxiously, "Someone is dying! Where's the water?"

Yan Zi Jing rushed over. Now Duan Wu knew that he had some martial skills; no wonder Wei Chi mentioned his "progress in kung fu." He was able to track Wei Chi to the Jade River without being noticed and could take Xiao Song Shu away from under Wei Chi's nose, almost qualifying him as an expert.

He swiftly jumped onto the covered carriage, lightly flicking Duan Wu with his fingers. Duan Wu bumped backward, her shoulders numbed by the impact.

Yan Zi Jing unwrapped the handkerchief covering Xiao Song Shu's hands. The child groaned in pain, and Duan Wu frowned.

In the morning light, the wound on Xiao Song Shu's palm looked even more horrifying.

Yan Zi Jing covered the bloody palm of Xiao Song Shu, "You appeared in the graveyard of the dead in the desert in the middle of the night, and I felt something was wrong. Speak! Who asked you to sneak into the forbidden area? The City Lord, who is famous, always uses mechanisms. Your hand has been pierced by the 'Bone-Biting Nail.' Most likely, it's ruined! If you don't tell the truth, I won't save you. Anyway, a slave with crippled hands can't be sold."