Chapter 4

Bjorn

Bjorn.

Dealing with the undead wasn't something Tove wanted to deal with everyday and she most definitely did believe in them. Her gods showed her, in abstract forms, the bridge between life and death that Bjorn resided in. Sometimes it was while she slept, in other moments she could see her world become distorted and the light changed.

Once the whole matter had been dealt with, Uhtred ending up in trouble as per usual to no one's surprise, the group had stayed near Winchester due to the upcoming festivities of a few suspected weddings. Tove enjoyed her time in a hut to herself, Sihtric having his own while they were away, but she was still ever so confused. Her dreams had become more frequent and showed her not two but three weddings; the first two were clear to the girl, Aethleflaed and Thyra being the brides she saw - beautiful and elegant. The third bride was never visible, only her soft, light gown and the way she walked to her shadowed husband to be.

The morning of the first wedding came and Tove dressed herself in a simple dress that would be practical should she need it to be, and she was just braiding her hair but couldn't reach behind her head to finish off the design. 

Three loud knocks sounded at her door. Frustrated, she released her hair, messing it up, and swung open the door to find the dark haired Dane that held her heart, waiting outside. Sihtric's head was turned to the floor but as he heard the creak of wood, he gazed up and saw her.

"Tove..."

In his eyes, he had never seen a woman so beautiful yet intimidating. There stood the woman he loved with a half done braid and a dress that showed more skin than he had dared to gaze upon before, with her own Thor's hammer plaited with flowers hanging atop her chest. For Sihtric, the gods had created Tove to be seen the way he saw her, more beautiful than the stars. He would never be able to tell her how perfect she was to him, only by the way he loved her.

"Sihtric! I didn't realised we were needed already"

"We aren't...I just wanted to spend some time with you before we went" he looked at her like she was shining.

"Oh well then please come inside, although I'm still struggling with my hair"

Tove sat down in front of her mirror ready to try and fight with her hair again when Sihtric stood tall behind her, locking eyes with each other, sparks flying.

"Here, let me"

Sihtric took her hair in his large hands and began to work on the braid that wrapped around her head. His long fingers gently grasped the strands that flowed down her back and intertwined themselves. Taking his time, the Dane ended up creating a patterned length of hair that would loop around Tove's head and cascade down her back.

Once he was done, Sihtric noticed the woman watching him through the small glass mirror that distorted how they looked but allowed the duo to see each other clearly enough. Warm hands were placed on the girl's shoulders as she stood up and turned around. Those hands shifted from her shoulders to her neck, then her jaw, and eventually rested on her blushed cheeks.

"Sihtric..."

It was only a whisper but he heard her so clearly. Their breaths mixed together and there was a beat of silence. Sihtric gently rested his forehead against hers, their noses touching fractionally.

"You are more beautiful than the stars"

Tove's big blue eyes glistened with warmth and love, a look that Sihtric knew all too well. It was the way Uhtred looked at Gisela and the way Finan looked at ale. It was the way the moon would look at the sun, chasing her light. It was the way Tove looked at the flowers in the meadow, at the stars in the night sky, the way she looked at him now. He knew it best because it was the way he looked at her every moment he could, totally and utterly in love.

"Sihtric..."

It was like a chant, the only word that she could muster because it was the only thing her brain could concentrate on. Every sense was overtaken by the Dane, his touch, his smell, his beauty, his breaths; the only thing that she didn't have in that moment was the way he tasted, but by all the gods she would find a way.

"...what are we?"

"I'm whatever you want me to be, my star"

"And if I want you to be my everything?"

His eyes flickered to her lips before he licked his own and his voice lowered.

"Then I'll be that...for you. On one condition"

Her eyes held the question that hung in the air so potently.

"...Be my wife"

She didn't need to find an answer in words, they always complicated things. Words can change through meaning and tones. They could start wars but end them at the same time. Lies were full of words but so were confessions and sometimes you are unable to tell which one is which. Tove wasn't very good with words, so she showed him his answer instead.

She kissed him

Its a short one but I finally got it out!!