A Fatal Flag as Soon as It Starts (2)

Beginne am Anfang

I was really okay yesterday! There was a carriage, too. I could have gone with the maids!

I'll be sure to make up for this grievance.

I'm glad that my teeth are still strong, though. Irina, who was tidying up the table, slowly approached me.

"I'll get rid of the garbage, Miss."

"No, leave it alone."

"Yes?"

I smiled at Irina, who looked confused.

"I'll use it for something."

I regained my strength that night, but my persistent maid still made me take two nasty, bitter supplements that forced me into a deep slumber.

Fortunately, the heavens recognized my burning vengeance and I was able to recover my energy.

Adele came a little after lunch and I greeted him with a bright face in front of the main gate.

"Hi, Adele. As you can see, I'm totally alive."

"You look better than yesterday. I'm glad to see that."

Adele's face shone as he answered.

As usual, his delicate, rose-colored, twinkling eyes were full of good faith and his lips continued to speak only noble and hopeful words.

When I read about Adele in the novel I thought he sounded so perfect and cool, but now I think he's just super annoying. As expected, being too nice is a problem.

"You remember what I said yesterday? I won't be greedy. I just want to walk around."

"Of course. Hold my hand."

Adele reached his hand out but I only glanced down.

"I can walk alone."

"Do you still feel uncomfortable with me?" Adele muttered in a subdued voice.

I thought of the original Anastasia, who made Adele's life difficult as her condition worsened.

Adele added before I said anything, "I misspoke. Forget what I said. I'm just excited to go out with Anastasia like this."

I didn't think that Adele wanted to talk anymore, so we proceeded to walk side by side in silence.

As we got some distance away from the Count's mansion, I stopped walking.

I glanced at Adele.

"Adele, I have a favor to ask."

"What is it?"

Adele, who stopped walking as well, asked readily. I tilted my head toward Adele to show my flowery face from a perfect angle.

"Are you willing to listen?"

"... Anything that doesn't go against reason."

As expected of the main character, Adele had already set up an iron defense.

The maids often fell for my charms when I used my face like this, but Adele didn't even react. How disappointing.

Anyway, I needed to lay the groundwork to coax Adele first.

"You know, I probably won't live long."

"And I'll say it again..."

"Listen until the end."

"Fine."

He was obviously discontented, but Adele backed down begrudgingly.

I began to speak slowly and calmly so as not to appear emotional.