Chapter 4 - Something There That Wasn't There Before

Start from the beginning

She was gone before I got to ask more on that. But dinner tonight... I left the kitchen and caught Cilla's arm right near the back door. She looked back at me. "Hey, I wanna ask ya a favor."

"Okay."

"Could you try and convince Sam to have dinner in the house with us tonight? I know she's not thrilled about bein' in the house, but I just wanna make 'er feel welcome, that's all."

"She feels welcome, she just doesn't want to be inside the house."

I huffed through my nose. "She really doesn't like me, does she?"

Cilla studied me for a moment, worry in her pretty green eyes. "Elvis... you don't have feelings for her, do you? Is that why you're so curious about her?"

My heart started beating faster. What should I say? Cilla was my girlfriend, and I told her everything. I had a feeling she would believe me if I told her about the spell. But I didn't want to dump that on her now. And... I didn't know how to answer her question. I never had feelings for a girl who wasn't all that attractive, at least in the face.

"She's one of my employees. That's why I'm curious about her," I defended. "It's kinda disheartening that my newest employee doesn't like me."

"She... well, frankly, no. She doesn't. She thinks you're a nice person, but she just..."

"Never mind. Go out and have a good time."

Cilla definitely heart my irritation. "Elvis, I'm sorry. Maybe over time, she'll warm up to you."

"Hopefully not too much time," I muttered.

"What?"

"Nothin'. Go and enjoy those cookies."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you, too, baby."

She gave me a pretty smile and left me. I watched out the window her going back to Sam, who was sitting there looking at the roses. From here, I could see that she was smiling, and the sun was making a gold shine in her dark-blonde hair. I smirked.

Maybe Cilla was right in her assumption—I had feelings for Sam. But unwanted ones, ones that I felt were forced upon me thanks to Ignis. Well, what's done is done. No going back. That spell was drawing me towards that girl with two different-colored eyes that were wide apart, and a girl who didn't want much to do with me.

This was annoying.

~ ~ ~

"I think it would make me feel more comfortable, Sam. I'm always the only female at the table, aside from when Elvis's cousin Patsy is here, and she's not going to be here for a while. And Gertrude eats separately from us. Please?"

Air flew out my nose in a huff as I sat there in the grass with Cilla, and we had just finished with the cookies. She was jutting out her lower lip, and she was giving me green puppy-dog eyes. "I would do it for you, but I don't want to be in the house."

"Is it really because you dislike Elvis that much? You already know that he's a good person, and he's funny and makes everyone feel special."

"Well, he doesn't need to make me feel special by inviting me to dinner. I appreciate the intention."

Cilla studied me for a moment, and I knew she wasn't staring at me because of my looks. We had got passed that. Surprisingly, I was enjoying spending time with her, a beautiful person, both inside and outside. We both had the commonality of feeling trapped in our problems, mine being my self-esteem, and hers... the control her famous boyfriend has over her.