Chapter One

The doctor told us that we barely made it on time, her heart was beating to fast cause she didn't take her medication to regulate it. Shayla's been suffering from supraventicular tachycardia (SVT) which is a heart condition, it wasn't serious, but one slip up can bring her to the hospital.

Around midnight, they had stabled her breathing and gotten her back, but we couldn't see her. So we headed back to Aunt Tasha's house since we had school the next day. Honestly, I was mad as fuck. I wanted to beat someone so bad, specially aunt Tasha for letting this happen to my sister. But I could really only blame myself for going to that stupid ass cookout.

Soon as we got home, I showered then went to sleep. The next morning, I woke up to the loud noise in the hallway.

"Asha get out the fucking bathroom," Tanisha yelled banging on the door.

"Hold up, I'm almost done,"

"Don't be bangin on ma doors like you own the place, fuck wrong witchu," Aunt Tasha yelled from her rooms.

I rubbed my eyes getting up. I fixed the sheets on the mattress, got my toothbrush and toothpaste and headed to the bathroom downstairs. It had a small sink, mirror and toilet. I washed my face, then brushed my teeth and went back to my room. I got dressed wearing a black shirt, ripped black jeans, and retro infared 6s. Even though I didn't have a lot of money, I made sure I got the flyest clothes and sneakers for me and my sister. I'd work in stores or restaurants to have money just in case anything happened to me or her, and so I can get sneakers, cause I'm a lowkey sneakerhead.

I put my binder in my black backpack, tied my dreads in a bun then went downstairs to wait for the twins.

"You not gon eat?" Aunt Tasha asked coming down the stairs. I shook my head, not looking her direction. She laughed, smoking another cigarette. I swear that's all she ever does, smoke around the house in her crusty robe. No wonder my mother didn't like her.

"You just like your goddamn mother, so picky," She mumbled walking to the kitchen.

"C'mon let's go," Tanisha said walking down the stairs.[Black joggers, white crop top, white high top AF1]

"Don't we have to wait for Asha?" I asked getting up from my seat.

"Keep askin questions and you gon stay ya ass here wit her," She rolled her eyes, popping her gum.

I quickly shut up and followed behind her going to their car. Less than a minute later, Asha came running out in high waist jeans, a gray crop top, beige cardigan and black sandals, along with a cute purse. She got in the front seat and her sister pulled off. Considering where they lived, the twins had a nice car, it was the latest Nissan Altima model in black.

The school was about fifteen minutes away from the house. They parked the car then sat around for a few minutes.

"Listen to me," Tanisha said turning around to face me. "When we step in this building, you and I don't know each other. Don't look at me, talk to me, come near me or even mention that we are related-"

"Tanisha don't be so mean she's new here, cut her some slack," Asha said rolling her eyes.

"Shut up Asha. Anyways you got it Layla, no interaction, till the final bell rings and we get back into this car,"

I nodded, getting out the car. The twins were older than me by a year. From the looks of it, they seemed quite popular, considering the amount of people that waved as we walked into the school. It was understandable that they didn't want to hang out with a sophomore cause it would mess up their rep as juniors. As both twins walked down the hallway greeting friends that they hadn't seen, I followed behind awkwardly as people looked and pointed at me.

We stopped by the main office so that could get assigned a homeroom.

"Whose homeroom are you in?" Asha asked as soon as I walked out the main office.

" Ms. Thompson," I said looking at my paper. She nodded then we continued walking down the hallway.

Soon the girls had made it to where their "crew" from the party was. They all stood in front of the lockers, laughing and joking around.

"What's up, y'all?" Asha said smiling at the guys. Tanisha waved then went to make out with her boyfriend. Again I stood there awakwardly, not saying anything.

"Nice shoes..You always this quiet?" Monty asked nudging my shoulder a little.

"Hmm, thanks and nah I'm just thinkin," I slightly smiled.

He nodded, and began flirting with Asha. Both of them clearly liked each other, but Asha was actin like she didn't. Everyone was talking to each other, which left me standing there awkwardly with nothing to say or do. Luckily, the bell rang for homesroom.

"Zoo, can you do me a favor?" Asha smiled at the guy with the shades from the part. He turned his head, facing her not saying anything. "Since you goin to Ms. Thompson, can you show Layla there?"

He shook head, starting to turn around, "Fine, next time you need a favor don't ask me." Asha said crossing her arms.

He turned back around facing us then sighed. "C'mon," He mumbled to me, Asha cheesed hugging him, then heading the other way towards her homeroom.

The walk to homeroom felt long as hell. I followed behind him as he turned into different hallways. I looked around at the school. The lockers were well kept, some blue and others light gray, many murals were onbthe wall along with trophies. Some hallways had spray paint and graffiti over the lockers, but other than that the school seemed fine. I looked at all the different students walking in the hallway. A lot of them stared and pointed at me, which I had gotten used to considering the fact that I had been to six different schools.

Zoo or whatever his name was very mysterious. He didn't say much, and he always had a pair of shades on. He dressed nicely though; he had denim shorts on, bred 11s, a black shirt, along with an MCM backpack. He had freshly cut black hair. He was taller than me by at least six inches, around 6'1. His arms were tatted, along with a few face tattoos.

By the time we had made it to homeroom, the bell had rung. Zoo opened the door for himself, leaving me behind, basically allowing it to shit in my face. I rolled my eyes, opening the door and finding an empty seat near the back of the classroom. The teacher took role telling us to get upx since she was going to give us assigned seats.

"Susan Marshalls, sit right there...Oh Willie Maxwell, nice to have you in my class again," She smiled looking up. "Why don't you sit behind Susan and remove those glasses while you're at it."

Willie? I looked over to see 'Zoo' removing his shades and taking a seat. I examined his face, seeing that the had more tattoos and he only had one eye. That's why he always wore those dumb ass shades, I think he looked fine with one eye. I mean I don't know his story or anything, but he didn't look any different from the boys in this class. In fact, he looked better than most of them.

"Shayla Mayfield, please introduce yourself,"

"Umm I'm Shayla, I'm from California and I just moved here a few days ago,"

"Lovely introduction, please have a seat behind Mr. Maxwell,"

Homeroom had gone by quickly, soon the bell rang. But I didn't know where any of my classes were. Thinking that Willie or Zoo or whatever would be a little nicer, I asked for his help, but in return he shot me down.

"Can you show me where room 143 is?" I asked tapping his shoulder.

"Listen, I on't wantchu thinkin we friends, cause we not, aight? Just cause you, Tanisha and Asha cousin don't mean shit, I on't just let anyone in my circle like Monty nd em," He got up from his seat, throwing his bag over his shoulder and walked out the classroom.

***
Check out: fettywvp1738.tumblr.com
Tumblr: xgoldenvibesx.tumblr.com
Twitter: __ashhhh