Chapter 1: The Observer Beyond Time

In the afternoon, Yin Shen met a friend for tea at a quaint tea house. Extending his hand from the second floor, Yin Shen exclaimed, "Over here!"

A man in the lobby immediately spotted him, smiling as he walked over. The short-haired man was a web novelist and also Yin Shen's college classmate, someone knowledgeable in various fields but not particularly deep. He served as the perfect companion for casual conversations.

Yin Shen enjoyed chatting with him about a myriad of topics, ranging from science fiction, mythical history, astronomy, geography, to military news. Their discussions were not overly rigorous, more like speculative musings, creating a relaxed atmosphere.

This time, their conversation meandered from history to mythology, and from mythology to supernatural fiction, interspersed with bizarre Western rumors.

Suddenly, Yin Shen spoke, "Recently, every night when I fall asleep, I feel like another 'me' suddenly rises from my body."

"Then, throughout the night, I watch myself until I wake up."

"It's somewhat like... Western soul projection, or what you'd call 'Yin Shen leaving the body' in your novels."

"What do you think is happening?"

The short-haired man, despite the absurdity in Yin Shen's words, thought seriously for a moment, organizing his thoughts.

"Firstly, we need to understand if the human soul, if it exists, is composed of matter or energy."

"Is it material or energetic?" Yin Shen pondered, uncertain.

"It seems to be neither," he replied.

The short-haired man continued, "What about memory and consciousness? Do they exist within the soul, or are they still in the brain?"

Yin Shen confirmed, "Within the soul."

"I feel like my body is an anchor, keeping the soul tethered to it," he added. "Even though I could break free with a struggle, the idea of venturing out triggers a sense of terror."

"This feeling induces a panic in me, and I refrain from exploring further."

Yin Shen suddenly chuckled, "Do you think I'm about to awaken some superpower or start cultivating immortality?"

The short-haired man shook his head, "Regardless of the truth behind what you're saying, if humans truly possess a soul that isn't material or energetic, and memories and consciousness are stored within it, then it surpasses anything superhuman or immortal cultivation could offer."

"What about soul projection or leaving the body, as mentioned in ancient times?" Yin Shen asked.

"Those are just imaginings of the ancients, incomparable to this existence," the short-haired man explained. "Even the gods in historical myths, Daoist immortals, can't match this."

"Even the primordial deity Pangu, the Creator God, Brahman, Chaos, and Azathoth wouldn't have power over you."

Yin Shen stood there, stunned. They had just been discussing human souls, and suddenly, they were talking about the supreme gods from various myths. How did they leap to these unfathomable divine beings?

"You're going too far with this. Are you saying that if humans have souls, they would be invincible?" Yin Shen questioned.

The short-haired man earnestly replied, "I'm not making it up; there's evidence."

"Because the universe is composed of matter, and time is the expression of the continuous, sequential change in matter."

"If your soul isn't part of matter or energy, and consciousness doesn't rely on the brain but on the soul, what does that mean?"

"It means your soul and the universe are like two non-overlapping planes. You can transcend beyond this universe, even beyond the constraints of time."

"Think about it. Is it possible?" he continued.

Yin Shen added, "So, once the soul leaves the body, it's like a ship without coordinates and direction, possibly leaving this universe without finding a way back?"

The short-haired man nodded, "One possibility is that you still have a connection to the real universe. There's an anchor point here."

"So, through this anchor point, you can observe this universe. As I mentioned earlier, become an observer freely moving beyond the universe and time."

"If you exist with different anchor points in different time periods, you might even become an entity traversing the timelines."

At this point, the short-haired man's tone turned somber.

"But there's another possibility."

"The moment your soul leaves the anchor point, you might be thrown into the unknown beyond the universe."

"It could be another universe, the origin of time, another dimension, or something unimaginable to humans."

"Nothing might exist there, like a prison. Your soul could be trapped there for ten million years, one hundred million years."

"Until..."

"Eternity."

The room fell silent, and no one spoke for a while.

At that moment, the short-haired man suddenly laughed, picked up the teapot, and filled Yin Shen's cup.

"Your idea is intriguing, quite innovative. I might use this concept for my next book. Who knows, it might become popular?"

The short-haired man didn't take Yin Shen's words seriously, assuming it was another whimsical imagination, as usual.

However, Yin Shen felt a complex emotion. He stood up to leave, saying, "I'll be going. If you write about it or come up with new ideas, let me know. We can discuss it together."

But the short-haired man stopped him, taking something out of his backpack.

"Yin Shen, don't leave yet. Since I'm using your concept, I'll give you a little something."

Yin Shen received the box from the short-haired man, and upon opening it, he found an irregular stone inside, adorned with a delicate engraving of a bug.

"What is this? Fossil?" Yin Shen asked.

The short-haired man replied, "A trilobite, a kind of three-lobed bug."

"While this fossil might not be worth much, the thought of witnessing a vivid representation of life from hundreds of millions of years ago is priceless."

"Take it home, contemplate, and feel the ancient Earth and the vicissitudes of these ancient creatures!"

Yin Shen thanked the short-haired man and left, examining the gift as he walked.

However, just as he reached the lobby, an out-of-control car suddenly sped from the street outside, crashing into the glass doors of the hall at a speed of over a hundred miles per hour. The shattered glass, accompanied by layers of debris, crushed towards Yin Shen.

Holding the fossil, Yin Shen seemed to be thrown out like a piece of cloth.

In a pool of blood, Yin Shen's gaze gradually blurred.