030. nameless, faceless

Start from the beginning

"Whoever wrote that note was putting you on notice -- this is personal." Emily says. "He wants you to remember who he is, and until that happens, he hasn't accomplished what he set out to do."

"I know you've been asked this before, but, please, think again -- do you know anyone with the initials L.C.?" Derek asks.

"I've looked everywhere -- day planner, emails, patient lists. There's no one." Barton says.

"Have you noticed anyone who might have been watching you, either at the hospital or here in the neighborhood?" Emily asks.

"I... I'm sorry." Barton says.

"Both the victims he's killed have been Hispanic men in their 40s. Have you had a patient recently that fits the description?" Walker asks.

"I'm a trauma surgeon in D.C. I have endless patients, all demographics." Barton says.

"We're gonna need records of all your recent surgeries." Rossi says.

"Of course." Barton nods.

"I'll call Garcia." JJ walks off.

"I-- I don't understand. If he's mad at me, why not just kill me?" Barton asks.

A phone starts ringing.

"It's mine." Barton answers his phone. "Hello?" He asks. "Jeffrey?" Derek runs upstairs. "What-- what's happening? Are you okay? Jeffrey, what's going on?" He asks. "Talk to me."

Derek walks to the banister.

"He's not up here." He states.

"Jeffrey, where are you?" Barton asks. "Jeffrey--"

"Dr. Barton, please." Emily calls as she and Bedelia follow the man out of the house as the others go to leave.

"You need to go back inside." Rossi tells him.

"I'm coming with you. I'm gonna get my son." Barton says.

"Sir, right now nobody is getting your son." Derek says.

"Agents Prentiss and Davis will explain it." JJ says.

"I don't need an explanation. I'm getting Jeffrey." Barton says.

"You need to listen right now." Rossi says. "Once your son left this house, the safest place for him to be is at that school."

"We can control access in and out. Detective Walker will organize an evacuation as soon as the school day is gone. But if we incite a panic now and the unsub is outside, a lot of kids are gonna die." Derek says.

"What if the killer is already at the school?" Barton asks.

"Then we'll be there, too." JJ says.

"Let us do our job." Rossi tells him.

"Jeffrey knows better than this. He doesn't put himself in danger." Barton says.

"I think he's just trying to do the right thing. He sees what his father does for a living. This is his way of trying to save lives, too." Derek says.

"You'll be there?" Barton asks.

"Yes." Rossi confirms.

"Tell him I'm not mad at him. Tell him I love him, and, uh... I'm proud of him." Barton says.

"We will." Derek assures.

The three go back inside, Spencer still sitting on the couch.

"Uh, thanks for everything. Bye." Spencer hangs his phone up. "She's going to email the files. We'll print them out from here." He tells them.