"There's more if you need it." Maria told them with a smile, trying to be kind, but she felt like she was watching wild animals eat a meal for the first time in months.

"Thank you, ma'am." Joel said in between mouthfuls, gesturing to Fran and Ellie as he spoke, "It's been a while since we've had a proper meal."

"Actually, I don't think I've ever had a proper meal." Ellie said, eyes not leaving her plate as she spoke with a full mouth, "This is fսck¡n' amazing."

The cursing made both Fran and Joel send her a look, Fran bumped her arm, shaking her head at the rude behaviour, while Joel turned to his brother, apologising on her behalf.

"Manners," Fran said quietly to Ellie, a small laugh from somewhere behind her a catching her attention. Her head turned in the direction, the back of a little boys head thrown back in a chuckle as his mother ticked him.

She could've sworn she saw a glimmer of orange paint on the side of his head - her heart stopped for a moment.

Sam.

He would've loved this place - all the children he could be around, the bright colours... he deserved to be here.

"What?" Ellie's voice cut through the thoughts that were starting to make Fran's stomach churn.

"What's wrong with you?" Joel asked Ellie, but his eyes were on Fran as she turned back into her seat with a pale face, her fork now down on her plate. The feeling of sick in her stomach bigger than her need to eat.

"What about her manners?" Ellie argued with Joel, talking about the girl who Ellie had caught staring at them; unaware of the inner conflict going on with the woman next to her.

"She was just curious." Maria cut in for Joel, "Kids around here don't usually look or talk like you."

"Right... well, maybe I'll teach them." Ellie said, going back to her food.

A hand on Fran's arm just out of sight grabbed her attention, eyes going to Joel. His eyes asking if she was okay. The woman sent him a small nod, picking up her glass of water and taking a sip, unaware of Tommy who had been watching the reaction with pinched brows.

What had happened to Tess?

"And I want my gun back." Ellie continued on at the silence of the rest of the table.

"They also aren't armed." Maria told her again, this time a little more stern.

"You know what? Uh... I think maybe y'all got a little off on the wrong foot," Tommy cut in when realising Ellie was getting more agitated by the second.

"She was gonna have her guys kill us." Ellie argued; "one of them nearly blew Fran's head off!"

"Thanks for the reminder," Fran mumbled to herself, shaking her head as she looked over at Ellie.

"It's true though! They were like seconds away from-" Ellie tried to say to Fran.

"I am well aware," Fran cut her off for both her sake and Joel's, who she could tell was starting to feel a little embarrassed by the younger girls aggression.