18. | every summertime.

Start from the beginning

"I didn't forget. My ears are kind of still ringing because of you."

"Hehe! Good, good. You remembered. Sweets are a universal joy, a source of comfort and happiness. I knew you can't resist their sugary allure!"

"...I didn't say anything like that, though?"

Gojo ignores his words with a bright smile. "What about we go and get some sweets after we rescue Kuroi? Sounds good to you?"

"No need. I've had my fill of sweets a week ago," he quickly says.

Gojo does not give up. "I'll pay for you~"

"...Okay, sure. Why not?"

Suguru and Amanai deadpan at their interaction. "You accepted quicker than I thought you would, [Y/n]," Suguru says.

Amanai nods with a mocking smile, finally having the chance to poke fun at him. "Yeah! Maybe you two did bond last night, hm?"

He blinks.

Oh, no. Maybe he really did!  Oh, my god. He's losing it. Is this what lack of sleep does to a person? He needs to catch a quick nap immediately.

Or else— Or else he's going to start seeing Gojo as something more than an upperclassman. A friend! That's dangerous! He doesn't want to be friends with this lunatic.

"Hm? You're suddenly so silent," Gojo states, a sharp grin on his face. "Not denying it anymore, are you?"

He narrows his eyes, and says, "Shut up or I'm going to kill you."

Suguru places a hand on his shoulder. "Haha! Well, that escalated quickly. Maybe we should switch our seats, [Y/n]. Before Satoru and your lack of sleep drives you mad."

"Heh? What do you mean, Suguru? Didn't you hear from my lovely fans yesterday? I'm actually a very sweet angel that has fallen from the heavens. I'm perfect," Gojo says with a wink.

From the front, Amanai cringes and quickly looks away back to the front, not before loudly saying, "With that personality? Ew."

He unconsciously nods to Amanai's words, even though she can't see him. "Ew does perfectly describe what I'm feeling right now, Gojo-senpai. Though, I can see why your fans said that to you."

"Oh? And why is that, my lovely kouhai?"

"Heaven probably got tired of dealing with your shit."

"..."

Gojo's mouth gapes so wide in shock and betrayal that he almost laughs. Almost.

Now feeling happier and relaxed after stupefying Gojo from speaking any more useless chatter, he turns his head towards Suguru with a bright smile. "Alright, we should switch our seats now. Thank you very much, Suguru-senpai."

Suguru gives him an exasperated sigh in return. "You two... Yeah, sure. We should switch now, I guess." And so, their journey to Okinawa continues in peaceful silence.

---

A ping from his phone snaps his attention away from the current chaos happening on the beach. "Oh, Nanami and Haibara just arrived," [Y/n] quietly announces.

Nanami

We've arrived.

[Y/n]

Okay.

Gojo peers over his shoulder and blanches at their most recent text. "Both of you guys are such dry texters," Gojo says with a disappointed expression.