Coy smiles spread across her parents’ faces as Mr McKenzie released her arm.  

“Stealing?” Jane said in disbelief, playing along. “Did your mother not raise you better than that?”

“No, milady,” Sabine said in an innocent voice. “My mama was dreadful.”

“What about your father?” Daniel interjected. “Did he not have any influence on your morals?”

“No, milord,” Sabine answered. “My papa taught me how to steal.”

Jane, giving them away, burst into a fit of laughter. She tossed the book aside and got up from the settee, throwing her arms around Sabine’s neck. “Oh, I missed you so much!” she exclaimed.

“I missed you, too, mama,” Sabine said, enjoying her mother’s familiar scent.

“Mama?” Mr McKenzie repeated, sounding confused. “Wait –”

“Forgive us, Connor,” Daniel apologised. “For you’ve just been the victim of a nasty trick. This girl wasn’t stealing Lady Sabine’s tack, for she is Lady Sabine.” He, too, kissed his daughter’s cheek and told her how much he missed her.

His dark brown eyes widened. “You’re Lady Sabine?” he gasped.

Sabine nodded. “Yes, why else would I be handling my horse’s tack?”

Connor looked quite embarrassed at his mistake. Sabine began to feel guilty for fooling him. She knew exactly how to rectify the situation.

“Now that I am home, I will be taking care of the stables. You may leave as soon as you please with a glowing reference even if you disorganised everything,” she said kindly.

Connor’s eyebrows furrowed. Clearly he wasn’t aware of the arrangement. His eyes flashed to her father. “I wasn’t aware that I was to lose my job. Have I done something wrong?” he asked. Sabine noticed that his accent was thicker when he was distressed.

“You’re not, don’t worry,” Daniel said, frowning at Sabine. “Sabine, Connor isn’t losing his job. He’s very good at what he does, he’s been looking after Puissant very well for you.”

“But he’s moved everything,” Sabine said in disbelief. “It’s all wrong. I was going to do his job when I returned from London.”

Connor’s disheartened look disappeared and a cocky smirk appeared. “Ye like shovelling droppings then?” he asked, amused.

Sabine placed her hands on her hips and squared her shoulders. “I’m perfectly capable of doing all that is needed to care for the horses.” She wasn’t afraid of excrement.

“Sabine,” Daniel warned. “I will not have a lady like you spending her days in the stables.”

“She spends the days in the stable anyway,” Jane murmured. “Why can’t she?”

“Yes!” Sabine exclaimed. “Thank you, mama!”

“No,” he said firmly. “It’s good to have you back, sweetheart. If you want to rearrange the stable, then tell Connor what you want done and he’ll do it, won’t you?” Daniel prompted.

Connor nodded. “Of course, milady. I’ll be happy to oblige ye in your bizarre way of doing things.” He looked at her playfully.

Sabine pursed her lips, knowing that was a jab at her. “I had a system,” she snapped. She turned her head to her father. “Papa, he is practically undressed and you refer to him by his Christian name. And you’re obliging his wishes, are you sure you don’t prefer him to me?” she challenged.