xiii. drivers test

Start from the beginning

Molly held back a snort. She licked her teeth and kept her eyes on the road as she slowly nodded her head. "Since the night before the All Valley. Or just... the All Valley more specifically."

Johnny mumbled a short "mhm" that made Molly roll her eyes. Johnny cleared his throat again. He went to rest his elbow on the windowsill of the car, but his elbow slid right off, making him more uncomfortable. "You're not..." Johnny stopped himself, squinting to himself. "Using him as a rebound, right?"

If Molly could throw herself out of the car, she would. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "What?! No!" She yelled, still keeping her eyes on the road. She was a safe driver, Johnny's gotta give that to her.

Molly scoffed, still shaking her head. "No. No, I hate the idea of rebounds. It just... it fucks with everyone involved. I would never do that." She said and out of the corner of her eyes, Molly saw Johnny relax.

A small smile started to twist onto Molly's face. God, she loved being in the know. "If anything, I should be worried after you told me he uses illegal drugs."

Johnny's eyes widened and he whipped his head to face Molly. "How'd you..." "You both made it so obvious at the All Valley. Plus, I know how to use context clues." Molly interrupted Johnny, laughing a little. Johnnys mouth clamped shut as Molly continued. "Robby told me his dad lived here. I've lived in this apartment complex my whole life. I everyone here and no one had a kid that I didn't know about."

Molly turned to Johnny as she stopped at a red light. "Until you told me to stay away from your son when you thought he was getting in trouble for hanging out with me Molly and not the illegal drug Molly."

Johnny huffed. "Yeah... that was not my best moment." He muttered as the light turned green. Molly started to drive again, chuckling. "It's okay. And I won't tell anyone about you two." Molly said, making Johnny sigh in relief.

"Thanks, kid. And I'm glad Robby has a friend like you." Johnny said, making Molly smile. "Out of all the kids I know at the dojo, you'd be the one I would hope Robby has in his life."

Molly tauntingly chuckled at the man's words. "I'm your favorite." Molly sang. Johnny rolled his eyes, holding back his own smile. "Yeah, whatever. Just keep driving."

...

Molly pulled into a parking spot at the DMV after her test and bounced her leg nervously as she waited for her instructor to critique her.

When the man told Molly she passed, Molly felt a fresh breath of air hit her lungs. She got out of the car with the man and said thank you.

As the man walked back into the DMV, Molly turned her head and watched Johnny waiting by the doors of the DMV expectantly. Molly immediately bursted into a smile and held her arms out. "I passed!"

Johnny instantly smiled with Molly, copying her actions and holding his hands out as she ran towards him. "You passed!" He screamed as Molly pulled him into a hug. The man hesitated for a second, but hugged back nonetheless.

"Thank you for taking me today." Molly said and Johnny smiled, slowly nodding his head. "It was not problem." He said, pulling Molly off of him and raising his brows. He pointed at the paper in Mollys hands that said she passed and smiled. "Now, let's get this thing finalized."

...

As Molly walked down the stairs of her apartment building to head to karate, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She pulled out her phone and smiled at Robby's contact on her screen. She answered his call and brought the phone to her ear. "Hey."

"Hey. I heard you have your license." Robby said and even though Molly couldn't see him, she could hear his smirk through the phone. Molly squinted, a small smile on her face. "Considering I am the one that told you, yes. It's true." She said as she unlocked her car and got inside.