Chapter 15: three times 'cause I've waited my whole life

Start from the beginning

Just as your lady's maid finished plaiting your hair, your mother popped her head into the room. She gasped, seeing you for the first time in your full wedding attire. The countess clutched her hands to her chest as she looked you up and down, eyes misty.

"What do you think?" you asked, giddily twirling around to show your mother your wedding dress. It was a simple gown, by ton standards, but you made it look stunning. You were radiant, so much that it was hard not to think you looked like a vision.

The countess walked over to you, trying to hold back tears as she took in the sight. "You look absolutely perfect," she gushed, cupping your cheek as you leaned into her touch.

Then, suddenly, as if remembering something quite unpleasant, your mother's back straightened and she pursed her lips. "Might you give us a few moments alone?" she addressed your sister and lady's maid. With minimal protest from Cassandra, the two slipped out of the room, softly closing the door behind them.

But you knew better. Cass was more than likely still eavesdropping, so you roughly opened the door once again. Unsurprisingly, she stumbled back into the room, looking sheepish.

"Alone, Cassandra. Surely you understand the concept," you quipped, pushing her out into the hallway once again and shutting the door firmly once you saw her enter the library with a defeated huff.

Turning around to face your mother once again, you clasped your hands behind your back, looking at her expectantly. You had an inkling about the subject of the conversation you were about to have, but you were not entirely certain, so you waited for her to start speaking.

However, Primrose seemed unable to form any coherent words. She swallowed thickly and placed her hands on the back of a chair to steady herself, but it did little to ease her discomfort. How to even begin this conversation? It was what the countess had been dreading the most, but she could never in good conscience let you go into a marriage uninformed.

"Do you remember all those weeks ago when you asked me about the– About the–" Suddenly, she started coughing. Your face broke out in a smile, her flustered appearance confirming your suspicions.

"The marriage night?" you offered, figuring that the two of you would never leave this room if you waited for her to initiate the subject.

The countess nodded gratefully, feeling the tiniest bit more comfortable talking about such matters with her daughter. "Yes, the marriage night," she said, cringing. "Clearly, it is no longer too early for you to know the specifics. So, I suppose I should explain," she started, but the pained look on her face persisted and she was quiet for several moments.

"Oh, I have no idea how to do this," she shook her head, futilely searching for the right words. "You're the first one to get married, so I haven't actually done this before. But we should do it now. We must..." she trailed off, staring out of the window with a haunted look in her eyes.

"It's alright, Mum. I know what the marriage night is," you laughed, wanting to ease your mother's burden. Unfortunately, your plan seemed to have backfired as her head quickly turned to where you were standing, looking supremely unamused.

"Who told you? Why do you know such things?" the countess demanded. You kept quiet, not wanting to upset her further, and positioned your gaze firmly on the ceiling.

A horrified gasp left your mother's lips as the realization dawned on her. "Y/N Beaumont!" she yelled, smacking your arm with each syllable. "That is completely unacceptable behavior! You are an unmarried lady! Those are not appropriate activities for unmarried ladies!"

You laughed but quickly stopped when your mother shot you a deadly look. "Mum, it's Benedict! He's hardly some devious man of the ton. Regardless, we're about to get married in a few hours, and I was in my courses last week," you defended, still holding back giggles.