Chapter 23: Never Trust A Man, or a Mentally Unstable Female

En başından başla

"Make me forget how badly we are failing this mission."

"I don't know either. Maybe we should just kill ourselves, that will make us forget, that's the answer to all our questions."

"Oh, shut up." You smile and get up the steps leading to an entrance back into another part of the castle. The mood instantly dies off as the rooms are only lit by the deep-orange flames of candles, so intense they almost seem red. You walk through, finding a hole in the wall for you to drop down to a lower level of the castle. Leon goes first, naturally, holding out his arms for you. You drop down, being caught.

"Are you ever going to stop doing that?"

"Do you want me to stop?"

"I'm not your damsel in distress."

"That's a shame." He put you down, at some point taking your hand without you even realising. As you continued to move through the tenebrous halls, you felt your heart warm from his sweet antics. In the silence of the hallways, you both had to listen closely for signs of movement in this dodgy corner of the castle, but it forced you to consider the position you were in, for once.

Leon is your co-worker. He works in your office. But what are the two of you? You're acting like lovers and you can feel your affection for him swelling with his stupid, constant acts. Even worse, you're distractions to each other, a clash of interest, it's against the rules. How did the two of you even end up getting this far without you even realising it? Oh, fuck it. Figure it out now while it's quiet.

"Leon, can I just confirm something really quick?"

"Sure-" You grab the hem of his shirt, pulling him into you as your back slams against the wall, your lips connecting. He doesn't waste the opportunity to wrap his hand around the back of your neck, the other hand around your waist as he presses his body into yours. His lips start to venture off to your jawline and down your neck making shivers erupt through your body. You place your hands on his shoulders and push him away to an arm's length.

"We can go now." You say, taking his hand again and walking down the halls. You look up at his pink face, his smile curious.

"What was that?" He asks.

"Didn't want to ask any difficult questions, so I confirmed it in my own way." You say with an innocent smile.

"Can I take a wild guess?" He asked amusedly. You nod. "You're not sure I like you?"

"Something like that. But now I know you like me a little too much."

He smiles, squeezing your hand. "You're an idiot for thinking I didn't."

"When it comes to you I am."

He can't help but wonder where your soft change in attitude came from, but it's bringing up sparks throughout his chest. "I wonder what you 5 hours ago would've said if she could hear you right now."

"She'd probably kill herself." He's right, what would you say? You'd tell yourself to fix up because how on earth will you deal with this when you get back to HQ? How badly could this end up if you put him over the mission? You've already almost killed yourself to protect him and you've both already wasted time doing stupid shit together. You shouldn't even be thinking about this right now, you should be focusing on your mission.

Leon suddenly pulls your hand, silently stepping behind a curtain, putting a finger to his mouth and signalling for you to listen. You stand silently, hearing the heavy footsteps coming around the corner and hearing as they walk past you. How did you not hear that? A perfect example, if you had been paying attention you would have. You peek through the curtain when you hear them walk past, seeing a ganado and a pack of dogs guarding him, which would have been a nightmare to deal with. They cross the corner and you both slip out quickly jogging to the next corner.