"Lemme crouch." He says softly, petting her hair.

She nods, releasing him, only to wrap her arms around his neck and bury her face in his shoulder the second he's more or less at her level.
He wraps his arms around her too, ignoring the cramping under his scars as he does so, burying his face into the side of her hair so no-one that might pass can see him in pain.
It's insane how a simple hug from the little girl could make him so at ease. He remembers when they lost Magne, Tomura had asked to pet her hair to see what 'the big fuss' was about, and then had amusedly recounted that there 'really was' something soothing about it.

"I've missed you so much." She sniffs into his shoulder.

"I missed you too, hon! Like crazy." He replies, rubbing her back. "When 'Mura's back, let's tell him he's never allowed on holiday again."

"But he's not on holiday, he's having operations." She replies worriedly.

Touya rolls his eyes playfully, smirking a little. She was always so literal.

"Was a joke, baby girl." Touya explains. "Means we're gonna tell him he's not allowed ta leave us alone this long again."

She nods enthusiastically. "Yes please."

He kisses her temple softly before gently easing away from her, moving her hair out of her face so he can look at her clearly. There's a worried expression there, faintly. Something he wants to get rid of, because he doesn't want her to feel anything other than happy ever again.

"Wha's that look for princess?" He asks, tilting his head to the side.

"He's been gone for so long... is he really sick?" She asks quietly.

"He ain't sick darlin'. This is... cosmetic operations. Ain't 'cause he's poorly." Touya tries to reassure.

"I don't know what that means..."

Touya muses on it for a minute. What could be the worst outcome of telling her the truth on this? It doesn't give anything away, not really.

"Tomura's gettin' some extra quirks." Touya explains. "So he can look after everyone better. But it takes a long time to get used ta new quirks, yaknow?"

"More quirks? Like Uncle Zero?" Star asks, her facial expression changing from worried to curious.

"Another uncle, huh?" Touya asks, raising an eyebrow in faint amusement.

"He's too old to be my brother, and you and 'Mura are my paws." She says matter-of-factly.

"Charmin'." Touya chuckles, cupping her cheek to run his thumb over the skin there. "Yeah, sure. Like Zero."

"Oh." She breathes. "Can I have more quirks?"

Touya's reaction is instant and visceral as the question triggers a flashback to the memories of Tomura being in agony as the doctor had begun the experiments. God knows what he's going through now.

"No!" He exclaims and then immediately is chewed up by guilt as she flinches. He lowers his voice and strokes her cheek again. "No, hon. You're just a lil' baby."

"Nuh-uh!" She instantly argues. "Zero says I'm changing into an adult!"

Touya rolls his eyes and flicks her nose. "Ya got years left of bein' a baby."

"Zero can't lie, because it hurts him." She says, rubbing her nose. "So you're lying. And we don't lie!"

Touya blinks. So Zero told her about that, huh?
It wasn't his choice to have that implant placed, actually he found it kind of inhumane considering Zero was a reanimated person rather than simply a brainless dogs body, but Ujiko had been insistent, saying they wouldn't want a nomu with too much free will, and said that Touya was allowing too many personal feelings into the matter.
When Zero was complete, and Touya decided he could be trusted, he'd get it removed. Luckily, Star doesn't seem to realise just how wrong that is, though.