You could say no of course, though your punishment would make you wish you'd said yes.

I glanced down at the Lotus burned into my wrist and winced.

To some being an assassin seemed glamorous, the government workers wanted to be like us as did the prostitutes. I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone. The higher your body count got the less they saw you as a person the more they saw you as a killing machine. 

And if you were capable of killing in cold blood, they assumed you'd be willing to do anything they asked of you.

Besides, assassins were the only section that was given suicide pills to take in case a job went wrong, the only section that was forced to do the same tasks as other sections and the only section with a high death rate.

"St. Claire, is that a French name?" One of the older men called out to me, I turned my gaze to him and nodded.

"My entire family was French, my parents were born in France," I answered.

"How enchanting, I've always loved Paris. It is a beautiful city isn't it?"

"I've always thought so," I replied, praying for something to happen so I'd have a brilliant excuse to move away.

"How old are you darling?" The gentleman asked, his eyes raking over me.

"She's twenty," Marissa answered without pause. Five years off but these men always liked a younger girl, they were easier to control.

I'd put a bullet in your head before you could even think to restrain me.

"Ivy, come along!" Someone called, I whipped my head around to see Destiny waving at me.

Thank you.

I smiled at the group of vultures before walking off towards Destiny, we rolled our eyes together as we made a beeline for the drinks table. I needed alcohol to numb the icky feeling that I had been overcome with.

An hour later we were spinning around together, dancing and laughing to the music. I'm sure we weren't acting very sultry and Marissa would have our heads in the morning, but I'd worry about that tomorrow.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught movement near the staircase, I turned my head to get a better look and almost gasped when I saw Nikolai talking to one of our agents.

It was Nikolai, but I'd never seen him look that way before. His unruly raven hair was styled, though one curl hung on his forehead. Like it was in protest. He wore a suit, black everything, and the top buttons were undone.

He looked like a fallen angel.

And I hated the way my heart roared in my eyes at the sight of him, especially considering he was flirting with Sophia.

And then he laughed and looked around, it took him a moment of scanning the room until his eyes landed on me. And I watched, frozen in place, as his laughter died and he swallowed.

He looked like he was at war with himself, as was I.

To kill or not to kill?

I spun on my heel and walked off the dance floor, throwing a glance over my shoulder I watched him say a word to Sophia and begin to follow after me. I quickened my pace and my hand dropped to my dress as it closed around the cool blade.

I scrambled my way up the other flight of stairs, I was regretting the heels I wore and the alcohol I'd consumed now. Nikolai wouldn't have been foolish enough to drink at an event like this.

Though he probably wasn't being pimped out by his superiors either.

A long hallway stretched out in front of me at the top of the stairs and I stepped behind a wall and waited, my heart racing.

I heard his footsteps and then, without warning, I spun from my hiding spot and pressed my blade to his throat, pinning him to the wall. We were in a dark corner, no one had come upstairs and if they had we'd be hard to spot.

"Well, that's a tad bit dramatic isn't it?" Nikolai teased, his eyes dropping to mine. The darkness cast shadows across his face making him look even more like the devil.

"Why are you here?" I asked, ignoring his remarks.

"I was invited, as were most of my co-workers and this is meant to be a non-violent party." He said, keeping his eyes locked on mine.

"Why were you following me?"

"I wanted to ask about your Christmas." He replied with a smirk.

I hated that he wasn't afraid of me or the knife pressing into his throat. He didn't think I'd kill him, I'd shown him kindness too many times. I hated him, I hated myself for being weak. I hated everything.

"Do you think I won't slit your throat?"

"I'd hope not, I wouldn't want to ruin your dress. It's such a pretty dress."

"It's just a dress," I replied dryly, narrowing my eyes.

"Maybe it's you that makes it beautiful then." He said.

My eyes widened a fraction, what was he doing? Flattery wasn't going to save him. His words did make my heart beat even faster if that's possible. I was being foolish, it was the wine.

"Compliments aren't going to save you from me."

"Nothing is going to save me from you, you're my undoing, Poison."

"Stop talking."

"Why do you think I can't kill you? I've had every opportunity and yet here you stand before me. Heart beating, still breathing."

"Nikolai-" I warned, he had to stop talking. I needed him to stop talking.

"I wish you'd never spared me, I wish you'd left me to die back in the compound. Then I wouldn't feel like this. So conflicted. And I wish you hadn't kissed me."

I stared at him, faltering.

"Were you trying to kill me with that kiss?" He asked, his voice came out strangled. He was at war with himself and he was losing. God help me I'd already lost.

I pulled the knife from his throat and before I could do anything else Nikolai's cold hands wrapped around my waist and pulled me to him. His lips crashed onto mine and shut my eyes.

He tasted like whiskey and smoke, his lips were warm. Almost feverish. He kissed me like he might die if he didn't, I felt like he was the only solid thing in the world. My arms wrapped around his neck and he pulled me closer still. I wonder if this is what Lucifer felt like when he fell from grace.

In the shadows I'd pretend, I would convince myself this was fine and the minute this kiss was over I'd drive my knife into his heart and finally be rid of him.

What a tragedy he beat me to it.

A sharp pain seared through my stomach and I gasped against Nikolai's lips, pulling back I looked down with wild eyes in time to watch him pull the dagger from my stomach.

His blade looked similar to mine, though curved to the side. For maximum pain.

 And Jesus did it hurt? It felt like someone was holding a hot poker in my stomach and twisting it around.

How could I have fallen for the devil's sweet words?

I looked back up at Nikolai as he let go of me and I crumpled to the floor, unable to stand. Everything was spinning, the entire world was tilting on its axis.

Nikolai stood in front of me, his knife was dripping crimson.

Blood, my blood.

He'd given me heaven before sending me to hell.

That was the last thing I thought before my eyes shut and the world faded out to nothing. 

Deadly Desires On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara