Chapter Three - We All Die In The End

Start from the beginning

“What would a vegetarian like?” Hart asked her.

“Well, my friend is a vegetarian and she loves these sandwiches.” She grabbed a couple of the pre-made sandwiches and went through each type with Hart. Her vegetarian friend enjoyed the spicy ones. Hart wasn't sure if getting Riley spicy food was the best idea, not when Riley was at the edge of death. “There are also a lot of types of vegetarian, non-cruelty animal food. There are cookies, candy, beverages, you name it and I'll find it.”

Hart ended up getting a lot of vegetarian food, so much that the lady had to bring a cart for him to carry all the things. Before he left the store, he noticed the “People Missing” board. Riley's face stared back at him. In the description it mentioned what he was wearing the last time he was seen and his location before the disappearance. There was a phone number to call if anyone had information, but that was it. He forgot all about it as he left the store and went to the parking lot to find his car.

As Hart opened the trunk of his car, a female voice yelled out to him. He looked up to see the same female employer that had helped him with his vegetarian issues running towards him.

“Hey, wait up!” she called as Hart began dumping the bags inside his car.

“Can I help you?” he asked her when she stopped running, catching her breath for a couple of seconds before speaking again.

“I can't believe I didn't recognize you, there aren't many guys like you around here,” she said, grinning.

Hart raised an eyebrow, clearly not knowing who this girl was.

“Maeve,” she stated with a smile.

It finally clicked. She was the dancer from the festival. The one Hart so elegantly danced with.

“Hello, Maeve. Nice to see you again,” Hart responded, smiling back.

She sighed contently. “I didn't think I'd see you again.”

“Then you thought wrong.”

She was acting strangely suspicious, but at the same time shy. Maybe he was making her nervous. She was rocking back and forth with her hands in her pockets, looking everywhere but his timid eyes.

“Um, I was wondering if I could ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Well, my friend, Riley, is missing. And my friend, Samara, told me last night that she saw him with another guy who was dressed in a black suit. She basically described you. I was just wondering if you've seen him? It isn't like him to disappear.”

“No, I haven't seen him. I remember talking to him before the fireworks, but then he said he had to go to a party and left.”

She sighed. “Yeah, he was supposed to come to my party, but he never showed up. We thought he bailed and went to sleep like he usually did. I just . . .” She was on the brink of crying, hyperventilating as she wrapped her arms around herself. He couldn't handle people crying in front of him . . . it bothered him. It disgusted him. He felt no pity for anyone. “I don't know. Samara thinks you were the last person to see him before he disappeared, so I just had to ask. Not that I'm accusing you of anything. You look harmless.” She laughed to herself. "And now Riley's sister, Fiona, is completely broken. She hasn't stopped crying ever since he disappeared. She keeps blaming herself."

“I'm sorry. How about you give me your phone number and I'll call you if I know anything? I'll give you my card, too.” Hart turned around, eyes empty, lips dry and slightly parted. His heart thumped and he could hear every beat in his head, like a song or a repetitive command.