Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" Frostwind asked, a little too excitedly.

"Trust no cat."

"What... What are you talking about?" Frostwind asked quietly.

"Who did you leave behind at the SpringClan camp?" Peaceheart asked quietly.

"A lot of cats," Frostwind meowed, confused. "Dawnfire, Shininglight, Dewfrost, Brightflame, Firespark, Redleaf, Windecho, a couple of others and the recovering SpringClan cats."

"Do you really think he forgave you?" Peaceheart whispered. "He held a grudge for moons. Only to overcome it when you became powerful? Think twice, Frostwind. Think twice. Trust no cat." 

The old she-cat departed after that, leaving Frostwind deep in thought. Finally, she stood up. "Cloudbeam? Talonflame? I want you with me, now."

"Where are we going?" Cloudbeam asked.

"SpringClan camp. I need to talk to Windecho."

~

"Frostwind? What are you doing here?" Windecho's voice had a slight edge to it, and he looked a little hostile.

And the SpringClan cats... She couldn't see them.

"Where are the SpringClan cats?" Frostwind asked quietly.

"In the dens."

"Take me," she meowed firmly.

Windecho glanced at her, confused, and then realization dawned on him. But he didn't say anything and led her to the medicine den. Mottledpelt and Redleaf were working on the injured.

And the SpringClan cats... They were looking to Windecho, not her.

"What happened here?" Frostwind asked, and she looked directly at Windecho. He wasn't worming his way out of this one.

He relented and stopped keeping up the facade. "You're a weak leader, Frostwind. You're a good superweapon, but not a leader. I can only trust you to fight and win. Leading? No. You're pretending to mature but you're transparent. You're a mouse-brain and a fox-heart, and it's time someone proper took over."

Frostwind snorted. "And that someone proper is you?"

One of the SpringClan cats stepped up uneasily. "He said you manipulated Streamlight."

"I did, did I? We're both in a prophecy that he isn't in. So we came together and talked about uniting SeasonClan. When would I have manipulated her?"

Uneasy looks continued spreading around the SpringClan cats, and Frostwind watched with satisfaction as Windecho began to panic.

"I didn't lie!" he spluttered, but they were turning their backs on him.

"Windecho, you-"

"Fine!" he shouted. "If you won't listen to me, I'm going to WinterClan!"

"Disloyal!" one of the SpringClan cats snarled, his hackles rising.

Frostwind grinned. Spectacular.

"I'm not! I'm proving a point!"

"By being disloyal," Talonflame said flatly, then glanced at his father.

Cloudbeam shifted uncomfortably, but his mate, Twilightmoon, walked up to him and they twined tails, giving him a new surge of courage.

"Leave, Windecho," Cloudbeam spat.

Frostwind fought down jealousy. She'd once had a cat to do that with her. Skyfeather. She missed him, more than she wanted to admit. She was used to working alone, to flying solo, but being without him was just...