[ 64 ] truly fine

Start from the beginning

     "Walk away, Lincoln," Bellamy said with a cock of his head. "You don't know what you're up against."

     The Grounder glanced at him with a brow raised in disbelief before nodding towards Jinny. "No hitting pressure points. We spar fair and square."

     She held her hands up in a gesture of goodwill. "Commander's honour. Whatever little that's worth anyway," she added with a devilish smirk.

     Harper let out a laugh. "You're gonna regret it, man."

     Jinny took off her Guard's jacket and shock baton, tossing them onto the bench before rolling her sleeves up to the elbows. Her dark hair was already secured in a ponytail and she took a defensive stance in front of the much taller man. "Come at me, bro."

     Lincoln rolled his eyes at her cockiness before preparing himself to go in for a quick jab to her head. Jinny sidestepped to dodge him, grabbing his wrist and turning it at an awkward angle. His face twisted into a grimace from the sudden jolt of pain through his nerves before she let go, swinging her arm out so that she caught him below the chin with a knife-hand.

     The man stumbled back but regained his composure quickly, using his heel to spur himself at her. He clipped her on the shoulder and she recoiled defensively, dropping herself to the ground before he could take an opportunity for another blow. Jinny thought that whether it was in space or on the ground—fighting was the same and so was surviving.

     She swung her leg out to swipe his ankles, springing back up to a stand as Lincoln fell over. He expertly recovered himself, however, and went in for an opening at her side. But she was already expecting it and grabbed his forearm. She yanked hard while stepping around him, causing Lincoln to lurch forward as he lost his balance yet again. Taking the opportunity to hook her leg behind his knee, she then locked his arm behind his back as his chin was run onto the floor.

     Lincoln groaned in defeat. "Fine, I concede."

     "Told you," Harper said with a grin as Jinny threw her hands up in triumph.

     "Well, that's the Commander for you," Monroe added as she indulged along with applause.

     Bellamy shook his head with disapproval. "It's not even fair how she gets into all your weak points."

     Jinny bent down to help Lincoln up and the man rubbed his sore chin. "I know what you mean," he said in response to Bellamy before turning back to Jinny. "You know who'd match well against you?"

     "If you say that snake's name, I will beat you up," she hissed threateningly.

     "Lexa is actually—" His words were lost to a surprised shout when Jinny grabbed hold of his arm and tossed him over her back. He crashed onto the ground once more with another groan, "That was uncalled for."

     "I warned you," she stated with a dirty scowl.

     Bellamy darted forward with apprehension. "Whoa, Jinny, calm down. Lincoln, you—"

     "I know, I'm sorry," Lincoln interjected as he stood back up, but his eyes glistened with silent reproach at Jinny's behaviour. She turned away coldly to retrieve her things and the air in the hall was suddenly thick with discomfort.

     "Bellamy," Harper called before tossing a duffel bag towards him.

     The man caught it easily with a nod of thanks and then handed it towards Lincoln. "Here. Council wanted you to have this."

     Lincoln reached into the bag and pulled out a Guard's jacket with the Ark's insignia emblazoned on its rough woven material. He looked up to Bellamy and Jinny with a deep frown. "I'm Trikru," he said.