Chapter 66- Plus Est En Vous (Part I)

Start from the beginning

He hugs me back, breathing a sigh of relief. "(Yn), I-I'm so sorry. I never meant for you to get caught up in..well...all of this." He mumbles.

"Varian, are you kidding? Sure, the near-death experience was scary, but today was the best day of my life. I've finally been able to experience life outside of the castle, and it was amazing! But the best part about it all was that I got to spend it with you"

We pull out of the hug and Varian looks at me with wide eyes. "Really?"

"Of course! You're my best friend, Var. It'll take a lot more than out of control water machines to scare me off." I say with a smile.

"Thanks (yn). I'm glad you're my friend." Varian gently says.

...

I ran after Varian. I was fully prepared to hike through the snow if it meant helping Varian's dad. Qurin was one of our family's closest friends, and I didn't want to let him get hurt. I expect to see Rapunzel following us, but when I look over my shoulder she was still standing in the doorway. "Varian, it's a state of emergency here. I'm sorry. We, we can't help you! Not right now."

Varian and I stop in our tracks. "No! No, no, no, no!" The boy runs back over to Rapunzel. "Listen to me. My dad doesn't have much time. You two are the only ones who can help."

I walk up to my sister. "We can't just leave him! Varian needs our help! Please!"

"Your Majesty, please." Nigel enters the hall. "Whatever the boy's problem, it must be set aside. The storm's growing stronger by the second. We need you to make a decision!"

Varian's hopeful blue eyes begin to fill with tears. It breaks my heart. After all those years of knowing him, I've never seen him so sad, so broken...so scared. I couldn't stand to see Varian, my best friend, my other half, so upset.

"Please! Princess, you...you promised you'd help me!" Varian grabs Rapunzel's arms. "You promised!"

Pete and Stan suddenly come up from behind, grab hold of Varian, and drag him away. I dart after them. "Hey!! Put him down!!" I ordered. I grab onto the boy's gloved hand. "Varian!!!"

He grips my hand back and I blush ever-so-slightly. "(Yn)!!"

Before I can do anything else, the captain grabs my arms and holds them behind my back. "What are you doing?!? Let go of me!" I try to break out of his grasp, but fail.

Tears fill my eyes as Varian is pulled away. "Please! My dad needs help!" He pleads.

"Don't hurt him!" Rapunzel quickly says.

"Varian!" I call out, still trying to break free.

Varian's blue eyes meet my own. We stare into each other's tear-filled eyes. Varian manages to let out one final plea. "(yn), please..."

The tears finally free themselves as Varian disappears around the corner.

The captain lets go of me and I fall to the floor, sobbing. I cover my face with my hands as big fat tears roll down my cheeks. I hear footsteps walking away, signaling to me that I was alone.

I'm so sorry...

...

The tip of the drill suddenly shatters, and Varian turns off the machine.

I quickly rush over to him to see if he's alright. "Var...?"

The alchemist only stares at the broken drill and doesn't even look at me. Almost like I wasn't even there. "No...no...no...NO!!!" He shouts, shoving the drill to the side. He storms over to his desk and throws his papers and books in the air with one fell swoop of his hand. "THIS IS USELESS!!"