Chapter 34- Midsummers Fiasco (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Play The Story Of Us (Taylor's Version) by Taylor Swift while reading!!!

As we pulled up to the country club I saw the Camerons and my family waiting for us at the entrance, including Rafe. Seeing him for the first time after everything that went down stung. 

What stung, even more, was that he was back on coke, but in the car ride I made the decision to ignore that, it wasn't my business and it wasn't my problem anymore, he was only fucking his life up, not mine. 

Sarah and I exited my car catching the eyes of our families, they were all looking at us, except for Rafe who seemed to be very interested in the pavement floor. As I already knew he was wearing a light blue suit, he looked incredibly good in it, and seeing him almost made me freeze, but thankfully Sarah nudged me on the arm before anyone could notice my staring. 

"You're finally here girls," Ward said and we both smiled. "How are the entrances working?" Ethan asked, this was the start of the nightmare that tonight would have been. 

"Okay so first Rose, Wheeze, and I, then Laura, Simon, and Ian, then Sarah, and lastly uh, Lillian and Rafe." Ward said and the tension in the room could've been cut with a knife. "Okay, let's go guys." My dad said trying to lighten the mood up slightly. 

We all walked inside the country club and stopped in front of the glass doors that would open shortly. Rafe was leading the group and Sarah and I were all the way back. He still hadn't looked at me, I knew that because I had been staring at him the whole time. 

He wasn't allowed to play the hurt one who can't even look at me, I was, I was the one who had been cheated on, not him. "Get in your position guys, we're entering in like two minutes," my mom said and we all nodded. 

I looked at Sarah and frowned at her while she gave me an empathetic smile. When I turn my head straight I see Rafe walking towards me, our eyes meeting for a quick second before I break the eye contact. 

It hurt too much. Looking at him truly felt like being stabbed in the chest a million times, he was once the only person I ever wanted to look at, and now he was the only one I didn't. 

All in the span of a week. Though I noticed that Rafe was still staring at me, because of that I looked to the ground to hopefully prevent any eye contact from happening ever again. Rafe walks next to me and adjusts his tie for the entrance, meanwhile, I just look ahead of myself trying not to give him any attention even though I can feel his eyes on me. 

"Rafe, Lillian, hold hands," Rose says, I don't think she knew we broke up. I swallow the saliva from my throat and prepare myself. 

He took my hand and held it loosely, I felt a spark. The same spark I felt whenever he touched me. It hadn't died, I still felt it, loud and clear. 

My breath started getting faster and I could feel another panic attack about to kick in. I took very deep breaths and closed my eyes trying to calm down before I had to enter. "Let me present to you the Camerons and the Joneses, the main investors in the country club! Who are also sponsoring Midsummers!" the announcer said. 

"First coming out Ward Cameron, Rose Cameron, and Wheezie Cameron." The announcer said the three of them entered through the main doors. I felt my breath start to slow down and I calmed down, completely ignoring the fact that Rafe was holding my hand. Out of sight and out of mind. 

"Next up, Simon Jones, Laura Jones, and Ethan Jones." The announcer said and my parents and brother left through the doors. 

"Next up Sarah Elizabeth Cameron," "Good luck Sar," I said and she smiled at me before entering the yard outside the country club.