Chapter twenty-two: If Home Is Where The Heart Is

Start from the beginning

Dean Thomas snorted audibly and the entire Hall erupted into chatter. Only when Professor McGonagall stood up from her seat and demanded order did the Sorting begin again.

Luna chose to sit at the Gryffindor table for the feast, and no one objected. The questions began immediately, for they had noticed Luna's dead eyes, until Ron, in an uncharacteristic moment of social intelligence, suggested that they leave Luna be until she was ready to talk.

So in spite of Hermione's constant worried glances, Luna ate most of her first meal back in her own time in peace.

                                  •

Classes began the next day, but since Luna had already learned most of it, they did not keep her mind as occupied as she would have liked. It did keep her friends occupied, however, and kept them from asking too many questions. Othello was her main source of company, as she remained in her dormitory during most of her free time. He knew something was wrong with her, and tried his very best to cheer her up, which he succeeded at better than most of the people she knew did. He would curl up on her lap, his lion-like tail waving smoothly, and he would purr incredibly loudly. He would do amazing acrobatics to make her laugh. And best of all, he wouldn't ask questions.

Finally, on Friday, Luna asked Harry to meet her outside the Room of Requirement at midnight so that she could tell him her story.

When Luna arrived outside the Room of Requirement, she whispered to apparently an empty corridor, "Harry?"

Harry's head appeared. "Yeah, I'm here. Let's go."

Once they had unlocked the room, which had transformed into a cozy library, Harry cast his invisibility cloak aside and they settled into chairs opposite each other. Both were silent, and Luna knew Harry was waiting for her to speak.

"I don't mind if you tell the others what I tell you. But I wanted to tell you because I feel closest to you, Harry, and...and I think what I say may affect you the most." She said this slowly, choosing her words carefully.

Harry nodded, urging her to continue, though he now looked slightly puzzled.

"You'll understand what I mean when I'm finished. So I suppose I should start." Luna smiled at herself, and then began her story.

Harry remained silent until Luna said, "I asked Professor Dumbledore what year it was. I didn't even know that, you see. And he told me it was 1943."

Harry leaned forward suddenly. "1943?"

Luna nodded, knowing his train of thought.

"But Luna, Voldemort was still a student here then! Did you meet him? What happened?" Harry was so excited that he didn't notice Luna's face fall.

"Yes, I met Tom, Harry," she said quietly. "That's why I'm telling you. I want you to know everything I know about Tom. Perhaps it may help you kill him." Her voice did not break.

"Tom? How well did you know him, Luna?" Harry asked, brow furrowing.

"Well enough that I've had second thoughts about telling you what I know." Luna's eyes were now sparkling, keeping Harry from jumping all over her. "Please, just let me tell you, before I change my mind."

Harry agreed, and for the most part he kept his word. He interjected occasionally, either in disbelief or in anger. He felt in some ways he should be angry with Luna, angry with her for not killing Voldemort when she had the chance. But whatever anger he had towards her died before it really began. Instead, all the more anger poured out towards Tom. Voldemort, he mentally corrected himself.

Luna carefully omitted the necklace Tom had given her from her story, for fear Harry would take it away from her. It now hung around her neck, glowing as red as ever, though it was carefully hidden beneath her shirt. The fact that it was still glowing had surprised her immensely when she first returned. This meant that the man Tom had become, Lord Voldemort, still thought about her. And always did. She also left out the night she and Tom had shared together in the Room of Requirement, not wishing to share it with anyone, not even Harry.

"And then I came back. To you, I was only gone an hour or so, but to me I was gone several months. And now...well, now I'm – home." Her voice faltered on the last word.

The silence in the room was palpable. Harry stared at the carpet as if he had never seen anything like it before. His brow was so heavily creased that Luna thought absently it might never unwrinkle again.

"You fell in love with Voldemort," Harry said finally.

And suddenly, Luna started laughing, really laughing, for the first time in too long. And not for the first time, Harry stared at her as if she were mad.

"What are you laughing at?" he asked incredulously.

Giggling, Luna said, "It's just that when you say it like that, it sounds so absurd!"

Harry cracked a smile, crooked as always. "At least he hasn't broken your laughter, Luna. I don't think I could've dealt with that."

Luna stopped laughing suddenly. "Just a broken heart," she muttered.

Harry stood from his seat, scooped her shivering form into his arms, and sat back down, cradling her to him. "I can't deal with that either, though, Luna."

A tear finally made its way down her cheek. She wiped it away carelessly with the back of her hand.

"It is alright to cry. I might not be who you want to hold you, but I'm here anyway," Harry said, quietly comforting her.

With that, Luna gave in to her tears and cried quietly into Harry's shirt.

"You didn't sound so sure that you'd come home," he said speculatively.

"I was just thinking about that old saying, 'Home is where the heart is.'"

Harry smiled sadly. "I understand. And I want you to know how much I appreciate your telling me all this. I...I know it must not be easy."

"Sometimes I wonder if I'm betraying him, you know?" she whispered.

"I don't think it's fair for you to look at it that way. I don't think he's that person anymore. You really aren't betraying Tom."

She nodded. "I know."

"I also want you to know that I appreciate your being tiny. I wouldn't have been able to pick you up otherwise, and that really would have ruined my chivalrous moment."

Luna smiled. And though it was a weak smile, it was a smile nonetheless.

Once her tears had completely stopped, Harry said, "Alright. Let's get you to bed. You need sleep." He stood and placed her on her feet. He picked up his invisibility cloak and covered both of them with it as they exited the room.

Harry walked her to the entrance to Ravenclaw Tower. Halfway there, Luna's hand found its way into his, not as a romantic gesture, but to fully appreciate that he was her friend, and he was there. And for the first time since she had left Tom, Luna didn't feel so alone.