Ch. 20: Skyler

Depuis le début

"Mitch said you were willing to sacrifice to get your mother off your back."

"It's too much-"

"This is just a fraction of Mitch's schedule. I've already gone through and picked the ones you definitely need to attend. Or is just Mitch supposed to go to your things?"

The words sound too familiar. Mitchel's angry accusations on the night I ran from the paparazzi come to mind. "I played nice in front of your mother, and that's all that matters."

Guilt twinges in my chest. After that, I'd promised Mitchel to be there for him.

"Ahh," I set the phone down in front of me and rake my hands through my hair several times before picking it up again. "All of these, though?"

I tilt my head, but Becca doesn't speak, answering me wordlessly.

"I'll try, okay."

"That's great. Maybe you'll get one of Mitch's pics after all. Bye." Becca laughs as she hangs up on me.

I hit print on the document before closing it with a hard click of the mouse. Ignoring the future events, for now, I return to work.

A knock on the door raises my head as Fern steps into the room. She gestures behind her to the hallway. "Professor, these people were looking for you."

"You know I don't have office hours in the summer," I stop when I spot the group behind her. Santria, the only teenager in the world who scares me, stands there. Maggie and another fan I recognize from the contest are behind her.

My legs knock my chair back as I stand up. "Hello. Why-why are you here?"

They can't be here to protest; that's all settled. But...no, no. They can't possibly know all the things I did to Mitchel afterward.

"Relax," Maggie says, smiling gently. "We're just here to talk to you."

Fern gives me a questioning look.

"We're fine here, thank you," I tell her. "Oh, I sent an event list to the printer. Can you add them to my calendar, please? Let me know if there are any conflicts." Fern nods with a smile and leaves, closing the door on her way out.

"Please, sit down." I join them at the study table, trying to keep a smile. Just breathe, just keep them happy.

Turning to the fan I saw at the contest, I apologize. "I'm sorry, I don't know you..."

"I'm Julie, vice president of the fan club. Nice to officially meet you.

"You, too." I look to all of them. "Is there anything I can get you to drink?"

"No, thank you."

The group I've only experienced when they're very aggressive exchanges unsure looks.

"So," I open my hands on the table. "What can I do for you?"

"You are more knowledgeable about Mitch Wild than we gave you credit for," Santria begins. Her demeanor turns intense. "But we want to help you become a better fan."

"I beg your pardon."

Maggie swoops in with a much friendlier manner. "We want to ask you to join our fan club!"

"...join the fan club?"

"Is this an okay time?" Maggie asks. "There's a lot of information to cover."

"H-how about I go get some water. I'll be right back." Bolting out of the room, I head for the lounge. I try to call Becca but there is no answer. I send a text to Mitchel.

icon lock

Montrez votre soutien à chronicimmunity et continuez à lire cette histoire

par @chronicimmunity
@chronicimmunity
Skyler Collins pretends to date his friend Mitch to dodge another bli...
Débloquez un nouveau Chapitre. Vos Pièces aident les écrivains à gagner de l'argent pour les histoires que vous aimez.
Voyez comment les Pièces soutiennent vos Écrivains favoris, comme @chronicimmunity.