Refrigerator Light

'Cause there we are again in the middle of the night
We're dancing 'round the kitchen in the refrigerator light
Down the stairs, I was there
I remember it all too well, yeah

-All too Well 10 minute version, Taylor swift

I woke up in a cold sweat, still in my travel clothes at 1:58 the next morning. Oh how I love jet lag. I get up from my bed and look into the mirror across from it, I swiftly take out my bun that I fell asleep in, groaning as I run a hand through my now greasy hair.

I smile slightly when I notice my baggage already inside of my room, one less thing to worry about. I dig through my bags and pull out a casual outfit and my toiletries.Walking into my old bathroom I almost gag at the sight of all my old things that I never got rid of. I hated this feeling, what was it? Nostalgia? I quickly discard all my expired products into the trash and lay out my new things, shivering slightly, I strip and take a much needed 'everything shower'. After the shower I quickly get dressed and after that I finally check my phone

3 missed calls from 'Mom 💗'

'Mom 💗': Have you arrived

'Mom 💗': Violet?

'Mom 💗': ???

Shit. I quickly call my mom hoping she doesn't get too angry. The phone rings three times before she finally answers. I sit on my bed and hold the phone to my ear and speak quietly, not wanting to wake anyone else in the house.

"Hello..." I say over the phone.

"Pourquoi tu n'as pas répondu?" my mom asks angrily.

"I fell asleep- because of jetlag," I reply sheepishly, don't get me wrong I love my mom, but one thing about her is that she made me very nervous, alot.

"And you didn't think of sending me a text?!" She exclaimed.

"I fell asleep right after the will was read," I explain, trying to keep my voice even- enough was happening right now without my mom yelling at me for not texting her. "He gave me- he gave me a couple million," I tell her- leaving out the part about the puzzle box.

"Vraiment?" My mom said excitedly,

"Mhm, when I come back we can go on vacation," I said smiling behind the phone

"You will have school when you come back," said my mom, disapprovingly.

"Oh"

"I will call you back later," My mom said.

"Bye-" I replied, trying not to sound too sad. Before I finished my goodbye my mom hung up. I sigh and look up from my phone, the first thing my eyes fall on is the puzzle box. The second I remember the puzzle box I want to cry, why did I have to have another mystery to solve when all I wanted was to disappear from the Hawthornes' life? Why, why, why, why, why, why,why, why, why?

I got up from the bed and quickly braid my hair into a singular braid on the back of my head.

Quickly gazing in the mirror, I make sure my hair looks at least half decent, it wasn't like I was going to see anyone anyways.

I walk out of my room with my phone and headphones, walking in the direction of the 'kids kitchen' which was a small (or at least relatively small) kitchen in the middle of our; Xander, Jameson, Grayson, and Nash and my wing. Once I enter the kitchen I make a beeline to the fridge, desperately needing a cold bottle of water. After quickly grabbing a bottle of water and chugging it, I look into the fridge, wondering what I could make at 2:30 in the morning without making too much noise.

Standing in front of the fridge with my headphones playing music at full volume and my arms crossed, I don't notice someone joining me in the kitchen until I feel a tap on my shoulder. I jump slightly and turn around, pausing my music. I fight the urge to walk out of the kitchen when I see who it is.

Grayson Hawthorne

He stiffens as if he's been caught doing something he shouldn't have, like a naughty child caught past his bedtime.

"I just needed some water" He says in his cold, calculated voice that had no reason being that hoarse. I silently take a step away from the fridge and cross my arms over my chest. He grabs the water from the fridge quickly and steps back,I return to my place in front of the fridge and start taking out a couple things to make an omelette. Right before I close the fridge I get a fleeting sense of deja vu that hits me square in the chest.

I sneak around the wing to the kitchen at 2am, making sure not to wake anyone, and I grab a plastic fork and open the fridge quietly. I smile when I see a half eaten cake in the fridge. I quickly set the cake on the table, forgetting about the open fridge, and I sink my fork into the red velvet cake. I ate a couple bites before getting up from my seat but before I could pick the cake back up I feel someone pull me into a tight bear hug from behind. I laugh quietly and turn around to face Grayson.

"How does it feel to be an official teenager?" Grayson teased as we stepped away from each other

"Honestly, I feel fine, like I don't feel that different," I said, walking to the fridge with the cake.

He grabs the cake from my hand and sets it back down, he grabs my hand with one of his rough calloused ones from hours of playing guitar and uses his other hand to fumble with his phone

"What are you doing?" I laugh, my eyebrows raised in an amused manner, he just wriggles his brows as an answer. After a moment of him tapping at things on his phone an upbeat tune starts playing, he taps his foot quickly and my eyes glimmer with recognition of the song.

The moon is high

Like your friends were the night

That we first met..

He sets his phone on the counter and holds both my hands and starts moving to the beat, after a moment I join him and we're dancing around the kitchen in the refrigerator light.

Kiss me once 'cause you know I had a long night

Kiss me twice 'cause I its gonna be alright

Three times 'cause I waited my whole life...

We pause our dancing for a second, I look into his dark grey eyes, and he looks into my green ones, he raises a hand to my cheek and leans closer, I mirror his action until we're a hair width apart

"Can I kiss you?" Grayson asks softly, I nod a bit, butterflies attacking my stomach, after a moment he connects our lips and we share a sloppy but sweet first kiss

I like shiny things but I'd marry you with paper rings

Uh huh, that's right...

I blink quickly trying to get the image in my mind to disappear, there's no point in thinking of the times when everything was okay, of when we were happy, because there is no way things could be the same, not now, not after what he did. 

A/N: I really liked writing this- sorry it took so long xo

p.s: who do you think would be better to cast for Violet, Malina Weissman or Shay Rudolph