VIII. June 21st, 1989

The crowd clapped again and I followed them. I mean, what else am I supposed to do?

Scream: Awesome entrance!

Lilith lifted her white gloved hand and Kairos offered his hand. Together, they walked down the staircase.

"I heard Lady Lilith will be the future grand duchess."

My fingers curl into my dress. Why am I...upset?

Somehow, time seems to flow much slower tonight. Instead of enjoying the spectacular food and music, I find myself continually looking at the clock as if I'm waiting for the night to be over.

And if I'm not looking at the clock, I catch myself staring at the Grand Duke and future Dutchess.

Is it because I've never seen such a gorgeous couple? Is that why I can't stop staring at them?

"You're looking again," Gwen whispered.

Quickly, I looked away, "They're just so good-looking," I said. "Are these types of people even real?"

Gwen chuckles, "I know what you mean."

When I noticed her glass was empty, I asked: "Need a refill?"

She looked down at my glass, "Do you need a refill?"

I glance down at my hands. How many glasses did I drink tonight? I stop counting at five. Somehow, I'm still able to converse normally while Gwen is swaying a little bit after her second glass.

It seems like having a high alcohol tolerance is my superpower.

"Gwen! Mira!" Asena rushed to us with firm hugs. Gwen and I wanted to greet Asena earlier, but she was introduced to a crowd of people by Emmett. So, it didn't feel right to intervene.

"Oh, you look so beautiful!" Gwen said.

"I'm jealous." I frowned, "You're a sunflower." I fake cry, "I want to be a sunflower too."

Asena laughed, "This is all so amazing." Despite her smile and laughter, I could sense something was off. I looked at Gwen who indirectly told me she could feel something was off too.

"What's wrong?" Gwen asked.

Asena's smile slowly faded, "Um-" She exhaled a shaky breath, "I um- never mind."

I touched Asena's arm, "Hey, we're here for you. Remember? You can tell us anything."

Asena's eyes overflowed with water, "Someone sent me a photo of Brett, and...he was in bed with-"

She didn't need to finish for us to understand what she said.

"That cheater!" I said.

"Who was it?" Gwen asked. "Was it...Don't tell me...Was it-"

Asena nodded.

"That bitch!" I know people are looking, but I didn't care.

Asena wiped off her tears, "It's okay. It's better that I know now before we-" She closed her eyes to calm herself.

"Asena?" Emmett made his way towards us, "Is everything okay?"

Asena plastered a smile on her face, "Yes, everything is okay."

Behind Emmett were a few other people, some familiar and some unfamiliar.

"Emmett. Are you not going to introduce us?"

Emmett looked at Asena again before she nodded at him, signaling that everything was okay.

"Asena. I'd like to introduce you to Grand Duke Lucianus Desdemona and Lady Lilith Kearne. Lucian and Lilith, this is my niece, Asena."