CHAPTER-3

Sorry for being super late guys. I just couldn't write anything. But our boy did a comeback and what an amazing one. So here's another update, it gets hurtful in the end. Take care.

It was quite a pleasant day today. I had a few clinical postings but there were no lectures. Thank god. I got to see an abdominal laparoscopic surgery today. I assisted Dr. Batra with his other two surgeries in the operation theatre. And I ate amazing chhole bhature as well. It was 18th November today. Most of the day was over, it was 9 pm now. My dinner was done and now was time for a break before the last study session of the day. I pick up my phone and open Instagram. Shahneel di had followed me. I accept her follow request and follow her back. I wonder what would happen if Shubman followed me. I was quite aware about his fan base. He hadn't followed me until now and to be honest it was quite a relief. We did chat quite a few times since the day he first texted me. He was always busy practicing. It was world cup tomorrow. WORLD CUP!!!

I was so anxious. I wonder how he must be feeling. I think of calling him. But will it seem weird? I feel a little skeptical. Finally I conclude to not call him. Why to get on his nerves when he already must be on the edge. Instead I call Shahneel didi.

"Hello? Shahneel di? Aradhana this side."

"Pata hai madam. I've already saved your number. Kya kar rahi thi?"

"Kuch nahi di, bas abhi dinner hua tha aur padhne ka bhi man nahi tha toh I decided to take a break. I thought aapse baat karti hun."

"Jhooth mat bol Aru!"

"Kya jhooth di??"

"Shub se baat karna tha but nahi kiya aur ab ye jaan ne ke liye ki voh ullu ka pattha kaisa hai you called me."

"Di yaar. I wanted to talk to him but dar lagra tha. I thought kyu aur anxious karna use. Aur meri anxiety door karne ke liye I called you."

"Chal, ye bhi sahi hai. He's pretending to be okay. Ek ghante pehle hi baat hui us se."

"It must be such a big deal to him na di??"

"Deal?? It means the entire world to him Aru."

.

Shahneel di and I spoke for almost half an hour. I kept the phone and was about to resume my study schedule when I thought of texting him. I can't call him but atleast I can text him to assure him and let him know that I'm there. I open What'sApp and start typing.

"All the best bandar. You're gonna do amazing and everything will be fine. I know you must be on the edge today, but just believe in yourselves just like how all of us believe in you. Rockstar ho tum.", I sent him.

I didn't expect it but he replied within a minute.

"Bandar?? Good to see puraani waali bully Aru. Anyways, thanks buddy. This means a lot. I'll give my hundred percent tomorrow."

"I know, I know. You will!!"

"Ek baat bolu?", he texted again after five to ten minutes. I had already started with my studies. In any other scenario I would have ignored the texts. But today was different. It was Shubman who had a very important event tomorrow. My friend needed me.

"Haan. Bolo dude. obviously."

"Aru, meri gaand phat rahi hai.", That was Shubman. Real Shubman. The Shubman buried under layers of maturity which he himself created because of the fame and recognition that he'd received. People thought it was amazing to get so much of fame and recognition at such a young age. No doubt it was true but it also had its own cons. He had to grow up much before than he should have. His childhood was damaged. He hid it well but during times like these when he was super anxious, that kid would come out. And I exactly knew what to do.

"Call karu tumhe?" I asked.

"Please do if you can.", He requested. And I immediately called him.

"Kyu ullu, kya hua? Anxiety jaan le rahi hai??"

"Haan na yaar. Mujhe sachmei ajeeb lag raha hai."

"Kyu lekin?"

"Kyu se kya matlab hai tumhara? It is fucking world cup!!", He exclaimed.

"But tumne under nine-teen World cup bhi toh khela tha na. Itne saare matches khele hai. Phir kyu? I know that it isn't just any other match but it is a match na?"

"I know Aru, it is a match. Not like every other match, but a match. But jab...", and he stops saying anything.

"But jab kya Shubman?", I asked him to continue.

"I don't know. Nahi samajh aa raha kuch."

"But jab you have so much of recognition and people expect so much from you it gets difficult and feels like a burden?", I said trying to give words to his feelings.

"Yes girl! Exactly that. Thank God we met again. Tum samajh jaati ho yaar!"

"I know, mai smart hun na, sab samajh jaati hun."

"Oye madam. Chane ke jhaad pe mat chadho ab.", He said while laughing in the end. He laughed. He finally laughed. I felt like I did contribute a little in calming his nerves.

"Nahi chadh rahi chane ke jhaad pe. But hear me out. Tomorrow is very important. But if you already put yourself on this pedestal jahaan pe tumne khudpe itna pressure daala hua hai, how will you give your best Shubman. Even you know that, all of this has the capacity to affect your game. I know its easier said than done, but you don't have any other choice but to do it. Distract karlo khudko when such thoughts come. Watch a movie or some series but don't forget to sleep on time. Tumhe sirf field pe jaane tak khudko sambhaalna hai uske baad toh jitna mai batsman Shubman ko jaanti hun, he won't give a fuck to anything else but the ball coming towards him. Okay?", I finished my monologue and was waiting for him to acknowledge. He replied after some good 15-20 seconds.

"Wow!!! How do you do this Aru? Even after so many years you exactly know what I need to hear. Thank you buddy, I needed this. I feel better."

"Good!! Ab go watch something ya chup chap so jaao!!"

"Ji maate", he mocked.

"Chalo bye, take care."

"Yup, you too. Good night!"

We bid each other good night and went our ways. I studied for another couple of hours and then slept. Before going to sleep, I prayed to God. I always do this; pray, express gratitude and then meditate before sleeping. I prayed for Indian Cricket Team, I prayed for Shubman. I prayed with all my heart. Getting sleep after that felt like a task. But finally after a lot of tossing and turning I finally felt I could sleep.

Next morning, surprisingly I woke up quite late. Maybe because I'd slept late yesterday night. It was 11 am. But it was also Sunday, the only day I get to sleep till late, so I guess it was okay.The first thing that came to my mind was World cup finals. Three more hours my mind said. I moved forward with my routine till 2:30 pm. Then opened my laptop and went to Disney plus hotstar's web page to watch the match.

..

The match had ended. India had lost the world cup. It was purely devastating. I couldn't function anymore. My heart ached for the entire nation, the entire ICT, but most importantly for my friend. I felt my heart crumble the moment I thought of him.

*******************************************************************************************************

Here the 3rd chapter ends. I couldn't elaborate about the world cup, I just could not take that pain. I know this hurts but this is also where the journey of Shubman and Aradhana actually starts.

Please leave a star and also a comment. It would make up for all the effort I put in this.

Much love, M.