15: Say don't go

[A/N: Song recommendation- Say Don't Go by Taylor Swift ]

~~~~~~~~~~~

Halfway out the door, but it won't close
I'm holdin' out hope for you to
Say, "Don't go"

~~~~~~~~~~~

-Main Character-

I pop into Jake's car with a headache due to two hours of sleep and an empty stomach. Two major problems that will meddle in the way I talk or behave until they are solved.

"Just tell me where to drop you." Jake's uninterested voice almost makes me want to turn around, re-enter the Meadows mansion and ask for their munificence again. That is the first thing he has said to me since the moment he came to pick me up.

I silently descend the dwarf but exceptionally wide stairs. My gaze travels to Jake. He is engulfed in black from head to toe, which I'm certain would make the few strands of his hair that often fall off on his forehead look excruciatingly pleasing. I could easily get that lovely sight but I won't allow myself to look at him. Not when I'm sure after his hair and eyes, my gaze would land on the scorn on his mouth.

Jake takes the driver's seat without sparing a glance back at me.

I take slow steps towards the passenger seat.

On his way here, Jake took the car from that café as he had duplicate keys at home. Jameson, being the gentleman that he is, offered us breakfast. I was about to accept when Jake said, "Thanks but that won't be necessary."

I swiftly turn my steps, guiding them towards the back seat instead. As I perch down, the all black and dark brown interior of the car and musky smell makes me feel calm and cozy.

Jake's hands holding the seatbelt freeze as he realises that I sat in the backseat. He leaves the seat belt be, leaning back in his seat.

While looking straight ahead, he says, "I'm not your driver."

I don't look at him either as I reply back. "I don't remember mentioning that you are."

"But your actions imply otherwise." He deadpan, gazing outside the window. "Just take the passenger seat." He says, tiredly.

"Thank you but I'm perfectly fine."

His eyes meet mine in the mirror. "Why are you so stubborn?" He asks, the former uninterested tone turning sharper.

I glare at him through the mirror. "You always put up with my arguments. Doesn't that make you just as stubborn as me?"

"Well, the arguments won't be happening any longer. This is the last time you and I are in contact." He replies, averting his gaze.

I lightly scoff. "Oh, right. You think I'm holding you back because you encounter certain emotions when dealing with me."

He inspects the guards standing around the house. "Well, if you are capable of that much understanding, then let's end this peacefully?" He suggests and then his heavy gaze turns the mirror. "The front seat. Now."

An order. He already knows how I feel about orders. And he thinks that would be the wise way of ending this peacefully?

In return, I only glare at him, steeling my spine and showing no signs of moving.

Jake's stare stays on me. "Please." He says in a deeper voice. An intentional change of tone, I'm sure. His eyes are too prying for me to keep looking at him.