Nirupama-2

Nirupama

(Some Secrets May Better Remain Secrets Forever)

'I cannot bear this', 'I want to pluck my eyes out' only these two sentences were the clues which the late girl Nirupama left in writing one on a wall and one in a book quite unintentionally and involuntarily to know about the reason for her committing suicide. Her father Ranganath, detective Smaran and his niece Menaka along with Nirupama's friend Sukanya pretty well understood that Nirupama did not want the said secret to be known to anyone else. But since her father Ranganath hell bent upon knowing about the said secret, detective Smaran and his niece Menaka ruthlessly investigated the matter only to unearth the said ghastly, shocking and astounding secret which the dead girl terribly wished to keep only with her in her grave forever.

x x x x x

Smaran looked into the face of that person who just settled in the chair opposite to him. He might be aged more than sixty and Smaran could sense sorrow in his face.

"Yes. I am Smaran and proprietor to this Smaran Detective Agency. In which way I can be helpful to you?" remembering the question the old man asked him after he entered into the room, Smaran said.

The old man breathed deeply and exhaled heavily. "You need to do some detection for me." He said. There was sorrow in his voice also.

"Sure I do. That is the main service I do offer to my clients." Smaran smiled. "Give me the details."

The old man nodded his head and hung it for a moment. Then he perched his head up and looked into the eyes of Smaran. Sorrow was so obvious in his eyes also. "My name is Ranganath. I retired as a high school headmaster. I am living in this town itself." He paused for a moment and then put his hand in his shirt pocket and took a white colour envelope from it. Then he opened that envelope, extracted a photograph from it and put it on the table which was between the chairs of him and Smaran.

"She is my daughter, Nirupama aged twenty two years." Ranganath said observing the expression in the face of Smaran.

Smaran took that photograph into his hands and started observing the girl in it. 'Beautiful!' Smaran thought. The girl in that photograph has a mesmerizing effect on him. Everyone of his age would want a daughter like her. She was elegant, there was intelligence in her eyes but why this old man was unhappy like this? he was feeling wonder.

"Just six months back, on one night she committed suicide."

The photograph dropped from the hands of Smaran. Suicides and murders were not new to him but this news jerked him. Why a beautiful and intelligent girl like her had committed suicide?

"What!" Smaran exclaimed with knitted brows. "I cannot understand."

"I too cannot understand. So I have come to you." Ranganath bent down and picked up the photograph from the floor and put it into the envelop again.

"I want more details." Adjusting himself in the chair to more comfortability Smaran said.

"My daughter was aged twenty one years by the time she committed suicide. She was studying M.A. psychology first year. There was no love affair. No foul play by anyone. No financial problems. No unbearable disease. She appeared all good even by the time when she entered into her bedroom in the night on that day. The next day when her mother entered into her bedroom to wake her up, she found her hanging from the ceiling. She hanged herself with her chunni to the ceiling fan." Ranganath tried to be expressionless. But the wrinkles on his face were deepened. It was obvious that he was trying to control his emotion.

"I see" Smaran nodded his head even he was still puzzling himself with whatever he heard. "You are sure that she was not suffering with anything by the time she committed suicide?"