Rob McClanahan

In which Y/n, a dancer and the daughter of Herb Brooks, is kissed by her partner during a dance on stage. Complicating her forbidden love relationship with Robbie McClanahan.

 Complicating her forbidden love relationship with Robbie McClanahan

It was just a dance. An interpretive dance of sorts relaying the story of a couple. A happy couple whose love for each other saw them through the woman's death. It was a heartbreaking story - the mature piece Y/n had wanted to show her dance teachers she could convey. Desperate to prove herself, she took on complicated lifts and partner work, relishing an opportunity to do things she wouldn't otherwise have a chance to do.

Yet no matter how terrifying the movements got, she had full faith in her competition partner. And it was no problem for the seasoned partners to execute moves meant for professional dancers years their senior. They trusted each other. And before even stepping onto the stage she knew they'd won. They'd secured another trophy for their team and she had proved herself.

And she knew this weeks in advance.

Thus, she begged her father to come. She knew it was the middle of an intense training time for him, and his team, but that didn't change that her father's presence would mean the world to her. She argued it would be a nice break for the him and the boys. It would give them something to do other than loiter at bars.

He'd tried not to show it, his disappointment, when she quit hockey all those years ago. Her parents had signed her up for ice dancing and subsequent ballet classes per her request, stretching her thin with her already intense hockey schedule. When she entered a new year of school, she found herself drowning within the levels of academic intensity.

Her mother, watching her daughter struggle to stay afloat and balance her education and extracurricular activities - not to mention she had to work through the emotions of finding out her mother was pregnant again, following twelve years of infertility - was immediately on the case. Her mother spoke to Herb and he agreed to let her drop an activity outside of school. They left the decision up to her and she chose to drop hockey. She knew it would get considerably more difficult for her as she advanced as a woman in a male dominated sport without a solid league for females. She knew she didn't have the passion to continue when times got tough, so she decided to quit then, even though it would break her father's heart.

She thought that's what caused the strain in their relationship. Sure, he still loved her. Still cared for her more than anything - he reminded her of that many times while in that season with newborns where they need a lot of attention. But she felt as though she had to work harder to prove herself to him. That somewhere in the back of his mind, he'd labeled her as a quitter. And so she worked extra hard to prove herself, but it never seemed like enough. He didn't lower his paper when she triumphantly produced a report card with high A's down the page. He didn't bat an eye when she was voted student government President or joined National Honor Society. He didn't seem to glance at the over abundance of first place trophies lining their mantle.