eighteen

"What was happening in here before I came in?" Nina questioned, taking a seat next to Bruce.

"Nothing," Bruce responded a little too quickly, causing his mother to laugh.

"So.. About your game?" Nina mentioned. Bruce looked down at knees, then back to his mom. "It's stupid, but I asked Vance to come to my game and he didn't. Something happened before and I was a little worried, I guess," Bruce says.

"What happened? Did you guys get in a fight over something?" She asked, and Bruce shook his head no. "A physical one?" She asked, and yet again, Bruce shook his head no.

"Did he get in a fight with someone else?" Nina asked. Bruce paused for a moment. "Yeah," he nodded.

"Okay, then what?"

Bruce didn't want to answer that truthfully, he knew exactly how she would react.

"I watched the fight happen and I followed him out when he left and I tried talking to him but he ignored me. I thought he was mad at me and that was stressing me out the whole game," Bruce lied. Saying that was easier than saying Vance punched him.

"Oh, I see. You two talked it out, right?" Nina asked to clarify. "Yes," Bruce nodded.

"Good. Right then," Nina said, putting her hands down on her knees and standing up. "I'll leave you be now. Come downstairs if you want to talk about anything at all."

"Okay, thanks," Bruce smiled. Nina then walked out of Bruce's room, shutting the door behind her.

Two hours later, Bruce got a call from Vance, and they stayed on the phone for three hours, before Bruce said he was getting tired, so the two hung up.
•••

Bruce was entering the grab n' go after he spotted Vance inside. To no surprise, Vance was playing pinball.

"Hey!" Bruce said, which startled Vance, causing him to loose to ball, and the game was over. Vance turned his head to see Bruce standing next to him.

"Oh, shoot! Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Bruce spoke.

"Maybe I did mean it," Vance mumbles. Bruce's expression changes to confusion quickly. "What?" Bruce asked.

"You're so fucking annoying, Bruce," Vance tells him.

Before Bruce could even come up with something to reply with, Vance was throwing a punch at his face.

Bruce's eyes shot open, leaving him with the realization that he was just having a dream. He thought the weird Vance dreams stopped.

Bruce took a moment to recall everything that happened in the dream. He knew Vance would never react like that to him, but he did make a mental note to not startle Vance while he was playing pinball.

Bruce glanced at his clock next to his bed. 1:07. Then, he looked towards his window. Bruce debated going out for a walk, but he was too paranoid about his mom finding out. He ended up rolling over in his bed and attempting to fall back asleep.

With Vance, he hadn't been able to fall asleep at all that night. He didn't have anything keeping inside, which is how he ended up wandering the streets, eventually finding himself outside of Bruce's house.

Bruce had been trying to sleep, but a small tapping noise came from his window. He quickly sat up and stared at his window, scared from the noise. There was another tap, and Bruce realized someone was throwing pebbles at his window.

Bruce stood up and walked towards his window where he opened it and stuck his head out. Standing on the ground was Vance, one hand in his jacket pocket, the other waving at him.

Bruce waved back before pulling his head out of the window and shutting it. He quietly exitted his room and went downstairs.

He silently opened his front door and closed it as he walked outside. Bruce stepped to the side of his house where Vance still stood, staring at the window with a frown.

"Vance!" Bruce spoke, waving at him. He turned his head, "Oh, hey!" Vance said, walking up to him.

"I don't really know why i'm here, I couldn't sleep," Vance said once he was standing in front of Bruce.

"It's okay, I was already awake. You want to come inside?" Bruce suggested.

"Would that be okay?" Vance said, sounding hesitant.

"Yes, idiot. Come on," Bruce smiled as he took Vance's hand and led him inside.

"Be quiet," Bruce whispered to him once they were both inside. Vance nodded, although Bruce couldn't see.

Bruce led Vance upstairs and into his room. He closed his door as quietly as he could manage, then turned to Vance.

"Why can't you sleep?" Bruce asked, sitting down on his bed. Vance shrugged. "I don't know," He said, taking a seat next to Bruce.

"Did you try closing your eyes?" Bruce said, mocking when Vance said that to him.

"Shut up," Vance told him with a laugh, gently pushing Bruce with his shoulder.

"You first," Bruce smiled, pushing Vance back.

"Whatever, man. You said you were already awake, why?" Vance asked, switching the subject slightly.

"Another dream," Bruce shrugged. "About?" Vance dragged the word out.

"Um, you. You hit me again, purposely though," Bruce shrugged.

"Oh, shit. You know I ain't gonna do that, yeah?" Vance responded, placing his hand over Bruce's.

"Mhm, I know," Bruce nodded and looked at Vance. "You can stay the night, if you wanted? Then tomorrow we can hang out?" Bruce suggested.

"Yeah, sure," Vance said with a smile. "Awesome, because i'm so tired right now," Bruce said, throwing his body down on his bed.

He adjusted himself so his head was on his pillow and his body was covered by his blankets. Vance did the same.

"Night," Vance whispered. Bruce stayed silent as he rolled himself over so he was halfway on Vance's body, one arm resting across his stomach. Vance's hand rested on Bruce's waist. "Night," Bruce mumbled.

short chapter, wompity wompity. alsoo THE END!!!

prolly not gonna be publishing a new story any time soon, school is like shooting a shotgun right into my brain every .04 seconds. even when i dont got school, i got no motivation to cook up in the writing department. righto buh bye then