"What's the point of all this when God didn't bless her with looks or charm?" she scoffed at me.

"Di..." Nalani Bua attempted to intervene, but she didn't stop, continuing her hurtful tirade.

"What did I say wrong? If it wasn't about looks, then her fiancé wouldn't have broken off the engagement, even when Bhaiya offered him a large sum of money," she said, her words piercing through me.

Her taunts tore at my heart. It's nothing new; perhaps she enjoys it.

"Avni is not like my Subha; she's so pretty and beautiful and elegant, and now  she's marrying the king of Pratapgarh," she proudly declared, as if she had won a gold medal in a debate competition.

I had to step away. I knew if I stayed there, she would talk about it all day long; it's her favorite pastime.

I rushed downstairs, feeling a sense of unease in the air. My father was on his knees, and the groom, King Avivansh Pratap Singh, sat on the nearest couch, his eyes glaring red, as if they could set the world ablaze.

Rajmata sat elegantly on a single couch, her leg crossed, while others stood in silence. Tears streamed down my father's face, and he clasped his hands together as I ran to him, desperate for answers.

"Papa, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked, my voice trembling. But he couldn't speak, and my eyes searched for clues, landing on my stepmother, who held a piece of paper in her shaking hand.

Taking the paper from her, I read my sister Subha's words, and my world shattered beneath me.

"I'm sorry, Avivansh, but I can't marry you. I have dreams that can't be fulfilled if I marry you, so I've decided to run away. This is the least I could do. Your not-to-be bride, Subha."

How could she? How could she do this to Papa? Blood inside me was boiling I saw my Father apologizing profusely to the groom's family, while I stood there, feeling helpless.

"Forgive us, Rajmata. We realize the harm we've caused you. We'll do anything to make amends. We trusted our blood too much, and it's caused us the deepest wound," Papa pleaded.

"There's a way to make this right," Rajmata said, rising from her seat and approaching me.

I couldn't meet her eyes, but she lifted my chin, forcing me to look at her.

"Ek tareeka hai is nuksaan ki bharpai," she declared, pointing at me.

"What do you mean?" Papa asked, his voice desperate.

"This girl will now become my daughter-in-law, my son's wife," Rajmata announced, shocking everyone present. My heart felt like it stopped.

"This couldn't be happening she can't take my daughter's place I would never let that happen". My father's wife stood up, protesting, but Rajmata silenced her.

"Your daughter has run away from her wedding, Mrs. Malhotra. This is what fate has decided," she said firmly.

In that moment, everything changed. Just when I had dared to dream of freedom, God had other plans. I felt like a bird escaping one cage, only to find itself trapped in another.

A moment later, I found myself seated next to a completely unknown man in the Mandap, someone I wasn't even supposed to marry in the first place. Yet here I was, chanting mantras with him.

He was a man I had never imagined anything beyond being my sister's fiancé. And now, he was my husband—a man I knew nothing about, despite his evident anger issues.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as we took each oath for our married life.

There's a saying that you can't choose your parents or any relation by birth, but you can choose your life partner. However, for me, it was never about choices. It was always my ill fate that forced me to walk through eggshells.

Now, I was no longer Avni Malhotra; I was Avni Avinash Pratap Singh, and that too without my consent, trapped in a marriage of convenience with a person who didn't even know me.

______________________________

The car finally stopped as we reached the grand gates of Pratapgarh. He smoothly opened his door and stepped out, leaving me waiting for someone to open the gate. The heavy lehenga they had forced me into made it difficult to move or even breathe properly.

Finally, the gate opened, and a man, slightly older than me, extended his hand towards me. I grasped it as I stepped out of the car, and he greeted me, "Welcome, Bhabhi..."

He must be Avivansh's younger brother, "Hi Bhabhi I am Yuvan, or you can call me Yuvi," as he introduced himself with a warm smile. I returned the smile and nodded, feeling a mix of nerves and awe as he led me inside the palace.

As we entered, I caught my first real glimpse of the palace, and it was truly mesmerizing. Standing at the entrance, surrounded by family members, Avivansh's mother performed the aarti for us, welcoming us into their home.

Hours passed as we went through the rituals, and despite being bound by the gathbandhan for five hours, Avivansh hadn't spared me a single glance.

"Kick the rice kalash and enter with your right leg," his aunty instructed me with a smile.

As I raised my right leg to kick the kalash, I suddenly lost my balance and began to trip. But just as I was about to fall, a strong hand gripped my waist, steadying me.

"Careful," a deep voice resonated in my ears. It was him, holding me and preventing me from falling. I looked up, meeting his gaze for the first time, and was captivated by his stunning green eyes. In that moment, I felt like I was getting lost in them.

Thankyou 💞
Please vote if you liked the story and you can comment about the characters.
And follow me for the updates