"Pick Ada up from where?" Dottie questions, tilting her head.

Tommy takes out his pocket watch. He raises an eyebrow whilst looking at the clocks hands. "She'll be getting off the train by the time you get there, Dots."

Dottie parks the car up in front of her house. She can see Gina's silhouette moving round as Ada and her climb out the far. Gina opens the front door, to endorsed with herself to realise Ada and Dottie standing and watching her.

"We've come to take you to the clinic." Ada says almost causing Gina to jump and scowl.

"I already told Michael, my husband or no-one." Gina responds, her attitude ripping through her voice.

"I've got a car."

"They have taxis, even in this fսck¡ng city." Gina replies, her eyes rolling as she looks at Ada.

"Look, if they don't hear a heartbeat, they're going to give you options." Dottie says, leaning against her car as Gina begins to walk down the path, with Ada following.

"None of them are nice. I had my check-up three days ago. They heard a beating heart. But if they had told me that baby had died inside of me, I would have wanted someone with me." Ada continues.

"My husband may do as he's told, but, er, I don't." Gina replies dryly.

"Look, if they hear a heartbeat, you won't need anybody with you, cos you'll have the baby with you. So I will leave you alone. But if you get in a taxi in this city and they hear your accent, they'll take you on a grand tour."

Gina rolls her eyes as Dottie holds up her car keys, wriggling her wrist so the keys jingle together. "Get in, Gina," she commands, pulling open the car door and climbing in.

Gina was pregnant. Pregnant with a healthy baby, according to the doctor, although Dottie began to wonder whether it was really Micheal's or not. However, she kept her mouth shut, driving Gina back to her house and then driving Ada to Tommy's house, where Tommy would later be giving her a lift home.

Dottie didn't drive home through, instead she drove to Polly's, not wanting her to be on her own for her birthday. Once inside, Dottie took off her shoes and shrugged off her coat. She bent her toes, feeling the joints click with relief. She frowns when she hears voices.

She follows the voices in to the drawing room, seeing Polly and Gina. Polly sits on the sofa, whilst Gina pours herself and Polly a drink.

Dottie gives Polly a small smile, sitting beside her and curling her legs up underneath her.

In Polly's hands, is a small wrapped present.

"Go on," Gina urges, "open it."

Polly takes the cigarette out of mouth before she pulls at the ribbon. "So... you've heard the baby's heartbeat today."

Gina, almost catcalls, replies dryly, "beats so fast."

"Would have been a birthday gift enough," Polly says simply as she picks up the gift. "A new life," she adds, a heavy piece of metal in her hand.

Dottie frowns, leaning over Polly's shoulder as Polly twists it around, examining every crevice.

"Liberty."

Polly and Dottie look back at Gina.

"Freedom."

Polly shakes it, spinning it round as if she was treating it like a knife. "Feels like a weapon."

Gina walks from the decanter, she perches herself on a stool opposite Polly. "I only came because Micheal was driving back from London, and he said he didn't want you to be on your own."

"She's not on her own," Dottie says, leaning on the arm of the sofa.

Gina, ignoring Dottie's comment, stares at Polly as she places the metal statue down.

"So... whose idea was the gift of freedom?" She asks, "I must say, I didn't expect freedom."

"Mine," Gina reveals as Dottie resists the urge to scoff.

"You want to take Micheal and the baby to New York?"

Gina nods, "yes. The baby will have two grandmothers, the other one lives—"

"The other one lives amongst human beings," Polly interrupts. "The other one is a human being."

Dottie bites her bottom lip, feeling the tension rise. She wants to scream at Gina, telling her to get away from her mum. She curls her fingertips in to her palm.

"It's alright, I'm not drunk," Polly adds, noticing Gina's snarky eye roll. "I'm just free. So what do you want? My approval? Dottie's approval?"

"Your help. Micheal wants you," she looks at Dottie, "both of you, to come with us. We can all live in Long Island, right on the beach." She says, taking a cigarette out of Polly's cigarette case.

Polly frowns, "isn't Long Island in Australia?"

In response, Gina lights the cigarette as Dottie rolls her eyes. The drama, Dottie thinks, this American bitch

"Or is it in California, amongst the Indians?"

"It's in New York, Polly," Gina suddenly says, almost snapping.

Polly breathes out, "you see we all try and get away. But we never do."

"It won't work," Dottie adds, staring at Gina with a cold and vacant expression. "It never will."

Polly leans forward, gently placing her hand on Gina's stomach. Gina lifts her hand up, almost surprised at Polly touching her. Dottie watches Polly's face, watching for any indication that the doctors were wrong.

"I wish I felt that heartbeat today."

Gina takes hold of Polly's wrist, pushing her hand away. "You're starting to sound a little sorry for yourself." She pushes her cigarette in to Polly's ashtray before standing up.
"I'm an American, we don't just go round and round and round. We go in a straight line. And my baby... will be born in New York."

Dottie watches as Gina glares down at Polly before she walks away. And, within seconds, the front door slams shut, and Dottie breathes out.

"There's no baby, is there?"

"Not even a fucking small one." Polly replies as she looks gravely at Dottie.

Dottie frowns. "She wouldn't allow me or Ada in the room

"If Micheal dies, Dots... Gina will be the reason."