001. one and only

chapter one!
001. one and only

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    JUST BECAUSE May Louise Parker had spider-sense, didn't mean she also had common sense.  She could sense things before they happened▬danger, swinging fists, falling debris and wayward pigeons, but sometimes sensing the obvious was a little above her superpowered abilities. 

    Her feet skidded across the light frost coating the tops of the buildings in Queens as the borough of New York was met with a chill with winter right around the corner. She tilted forward and landed on the palm of her head, pushing herself off the edge of the building and soaring into the streets. in the distance, the streets near Brooklyn Visions had turned into a vicious storm and light show. An entire block was without power, and right above the posh gifted school, forks of lighting struck between the lights of their football field in colours of blinding yellow, white and blue. 

    She heard the cheers from a group of people waiting to cross the street and pulled herself up higher, twisting her body and somersaulting▬The cheers grew at the spinning tricks she performed before she swung away. 

    May Louise Parker wasn't just any teenage girl. While she might do a lot of things predictable for someone her age▬like not cleaning her room until it was absolutely necessary, doing the exact opposite of what her parents told her to do, or grumbling with annoyance whenever her younger brother decided to come into her room▬there was something exceptional about her that made her very, very different. 

    She swung around the edge of a street lamp and called out with delight into the streets as her body was propelled even faster down the road. 

    May Louise was born with powers genetically passed down from her father, given to him by the bite of a radioactive spider when he was fifteen. These powers gave her the speed, superhuman strength and agility of the same spider who modified her father's genetic code all those years ago. And so, since she turned fifteen just a few months ago, she had taken on the mantle her father retired to become New York's one▬and only▬Spider-Girl. 

    In just a few months, Spider-Girl has saved as many people as she possibly could (which was a lot), had her best friend find out her secret completely by accident, stopped robberies, put an end to high-speed chases and▬her favourite▬kicked her very own supervillains in the face with a loud KAPOW!

    Finally, May Louise Parker had become exactly who she was supposed to be: Completely and utterly awesome! Amazing, spectacular▬Ultimate, even. The Amazing, Spectacular, Ultimate Spider-Girl (it had a nice ring to it, right?). 

    And New York seemed to agree. 

    Not one person seemed to complain, and every person she had saved thanked her instead of reprimanding her. Spider-Girl even gained the attention of very important superhero teams and even the Young Avengers offered her a place alongside the best of the new generation running the streets. 

    She was having the best time of her life. And never once▬not once▬has Spider-Girl yet lost a fight. Never has she met someone she could not beat. Never, ever, has she been struck to the ground. Never once had she ever regretted making this choice, and she never will regret it. 

    She felt unstoppable. 

    Spider-Girl was unstoppable. 

    The only thing she wasn't Amazing at▬