Rules & Guidelines

Below is a list of rules and guidelines all participants should adhere to for the duration of our contest. Before participating, we kindly ask that you read this chapter fully so that you know the rules of Engagement.

Participants can submit their entries through the form anytime after February 1st.

The goal of the Open Novella Contest is to challenge participants to write a whole novella between 20,000 and 40,000 words in twelve (12) weeks

The goal of the Open Novella Contest is to challenge participants to write a whole novella between 20,000 and 40,000 words in twelve (12) weeks. Participants are able to enter the contest by writing their novella using one of the given prompts. These prompts will be published in a separate chapter that is set to go live on February 1, 2024.

The contest consists of three rounds, and participants will be challenged to reach a specific word count milestone for each round:

Round 1 - 2,000-words milestone

Round 2 - 8,000-words milestone

Round 3 - 20,000-words milestone

The writing period will last a total of twelve (12) weeks, from February 1st to April 30th. To find out more about the contest schedule, please check out our Schedule chapter.

After completing each round, you will submit your entry via the form provided during that round. Your entry will be judged on several aspects, including but not limited to: technical (spelling, punctuation, grammar) and content-related criteria.

Writers who meet the word count milestone and cross the score threshold for that round will advance to the next round. Participants with the highest score in each round will receive a shout-out from the OpenNovellaContest profile and winning sticker for that round.

Everyone who reaches the word count milestone will receive an exclusive ONC sticker to showcase on their cover, regardless of whether their story qualifies for the next round or not. Yes, you heard right. You still get the milestone sticker even if you don't advance to the next round!

The final round will have one grand winner. The grand winner will receive some pretty great swag. To see the full list of prizes available for this season's ONC, please check our Prizes chapter.

That's the amazing part of this contest - you can write about anything and everything! But every challenge comes with objectives that need to be fulfilled, just to keep things interesting!

Your story must be based on one of the prompts provided. Your story's first published date should be on or after February 1st. This includes the non-narrative parts, such as character list, aesthetics, playlists, etc.

This is because we only want stories written specifically for this contest and within the timeframe established. So before you pump yourself up to start writing, please head over to the prompts chapter in this book when it's published and pick one (or more) of the many prompts the team has crafted for you.

Remember, if you choose multiple prompts, you must have one prompt as the main prompt on which your story is based, while the rest you can use in whatever way you want.

The prompts are designed to be broad enough so that they're open to interpretation. This will give you the opportunity to create something original and unique. Don't worry if a prompt is listed under a genre you're not comfortable or familiar with. You can definitely take it into any genre and direction that you prefer. We welcome diverse and inclusive stories of all kinds.

After reaching each milestone, all you have to do is fill in our submission form located at the beginning of this chapter and your story will be submitted to us for that round

After reaching each milestone, all you have to do is fill in our submission form located at the beginning of this chapter and your story will be submitted to us for that round. Although it's not required, adding the #ONC2024 tag to your story will show everyone that you are participating in one of the biggest events of the year!

IMPORTANT: You will have to re-submit your story to us via that form after reaching the milestones for each round. So, if you make it through the first round and you reach the required word count for the second round, you will need to re-submit the form. This lets us know that you are still interested in participating in the contest. We are only looking for the word count listed on Wattpad.

Only those who re-submit their stories for each round will have their entries judged.

The form for the first round will be posted sometime during the first week of February after the contest officially kicks off. The form will be available in different areas on the profile:

- Through a link in our profile bio once it opens for submissions

- Through this chapter's external link

- Through a link located at the beginning of this chapter

- The link will also be broadcast during each round of ONC

The judging team consists of dedicated and enthusiastic Ambassadors who are gracious enough to volunteer their time for this contest

Please note: Judges will not be entering the contest as participants.

During each round, the judges will read the stories of ONC participants and score them based on the following criteria:

Spelling and grammar

Narrative voice

Relation to theme / prompt

Creative execution