chapter nineteen - sad beautiful tragic

"we both wake in lonely beds, different cities."
- taylor swift

The next morning, I awoke with a heavy heart and swollen eyes, evidence of the tears that had kept me company through the night. The sun streamed through the window, casting a bittersweet glow on the room that once felt so familiar but now seemed tinged with the ache of loss.

Brax, sensing my anguish, gently knocked on the door and entered, holding a sealed envelope. "Hey, Astoria. I found this outside. It's addressed to you."

I, my voice still fragile from the previous night's tears, whispered a soft thank you as I accepted the envelope. With trembling hands, I carefully tore it open, revealing the weight of Jason's words etched onto the paper.

Dear Astoria,

I hope this letter finds you in a moment of calm amidst the storm of emotions I know must be swirling around you. I find it incredibly difficult to express the reasons behind the decisions I've made, but I owe you an explanation.

Our time together has been a beautiful chapter in my life, filled with love, laughter, and shared dreams. However, I've come to realize that I need to navigate my own journey, to find a deeper understanding of who I am and what I want.

Please understand that my decision to leave is not a reflection of you or our love. It's a quest for self-discovery, a necessary but painful step I must take. I cherish the moments we've shared, and I will always hold a special place in my heart for you.

I know this might feel like an abrupt and heart-wrenching goodbye, and for that, I am truly sorry. The last thing I wanted was to hurt you. Life is unpredictable, and sometimes our paths diverge in unexpected ways.

Take your time to heal, to process, and to rediscover the strength within you. You deserve happiness, Astoria, and I hope that life brings you the joy you deserve.

Thank you for being a significant part of my life. I will forever carry the memories of our time together.

Wishing you the strength to face the challenges ahead and the courage to embrace the beautiful possibilities life holds.

With sincere regret and gratitude,
Jason

As I finished reading, I clutched the letter to my chest, a mix of sorrow and acceptance etched across my face. Brax, understanding the weight of the moment, offered a comforting embrace. "I'm here for you, Astoria, whatever you need."

In the quiet of my room, surrounded by the remnants of a love that had slipped away, I began the challenging journey of healing, clinging to the words in the letter as a guide through the storm of emotions that raged within me.