Pt14. Chaos Boost

Start from the beginning

Tails walks up beside you, his hands also clutching the wires wrapped around his body. He looks over the assembly one more time before he looks to you. "I'm right here too, and I'm not leaving you to take care of this alone. We're partners, remember?" He nods to you, a determination in his eyes. "I'll need about three minutes once we start, think you can keep them off me for that long?"

Your brow softens for a moment before you nod in return, a stoic neutrality on your face, "They won't know what hit them, fox."

You both brace for a moment as you tear the wires off your bodies, careful not to break any segments as they unwound and fell to your feet. Your heart pulsed as you finished removing the wires in record time, only a few moments behind Tails as he immediately got to work on the stems of the machine. You circulate the room, grabbing chairs and pushing desks in front of all entrances, kicking the panel on the elevator in the hopes it would prevent anyone else from using it. It was difficult setting up all these barriers with one arm, your muscles crying to you as they continued pressing on. You could count three entrances to the space, one of which being the elevator. There had to be an emergency staircase somewhere... So at least one unaccounted for.

Tails fiddles with the wires along the setup, the wrapping seeming to be going well as he left the ends disconnected till he had fully wrapped one side around. He heaves a heavy breath, closing his eyes for a moment.
"Moment of truth..."
He connects the ends together, a bright blue spark shooting out of the thin wires as they immediately heated up to a bright red. He shakes his hands as he breathes heavily, his heart racing at the sudden surge of raw power.
"that was close..." The wires seemed to be holding though, at least for now...

Metallic footsteps echoed quietly around you, getting louder with every passing second. The floor rumbles as the storm encroaches closer and closer to the top floor. With a response like this there was no doubts this had quickly turned into one of the worse case scenarios. There were too many robots within the facility, and if the doctor's main concern was retaining the Chaos Emerald then naturally all of his forces would divert to it when threatened.

The march continues as you run around the space, checking the entryways and stacking more and more furniture up til you couldn't find any more spaces for the obstructions. There was no way that this would hold for long, but as long as Tails got the setup done it didn't matter. At this point it was going to be a battle of endurance. Either your body would give out or their systems would first.

*THUMP THUMP THUMP!*

You jump, looking at the elevator as you could see it was full of robots, the lift still operable. The stack in front began shifting as you rushed over, pushing back against the machines as they jostled the barricade.
Glancing the control panel it was still busted, but apparently only for the operations for this floor...
One means of escape ruined...

*BANG!*

Several chairs fall on the far side door, your stack up very quickly taking the heat as several holes were now burned through the barricade. You push the stack up as best you can before running over to the other door, stealing a peek through the hole before you were fired upon again. Several E-2000 bots outside the entryway with their laser guns at the ready, a few giant hammers could be seen behind them.

They're attacking synchronized!? I was naïve to think they wouldn't, especially with a facility this new and precious the doctor was sure to have appropriate power to protect it.
There's no way we're going to last...

You glance back to Tails pensively as you see he's still fully immersed in what he was doing, carefully and meticulously wrapping the wires around the holding unit.
Was this all a waste? Had you saved his life just to lead him to his doom this time around?