Chapter 3

March, 1832, Paris

Enjolras POV

(The meeting)

"Enjolras."

"Just a moment..." Enjolras replied, completely absorbed in the tax reports he was reading.

Marius rolled his eyes. "Would you please be polite and notice the new people in this room?" He whispered harshly.

Reluctantly, the blue-eyed man dragged his gaze from the papers and looked at the small figure who seemed to be hiding in his shadow. Now he was confused.

"You brought a woman?" he asked lazily. Why all the fuss? The only women that came in the back room had been a scullery maid. Apparently, Marius had decided to change that.

"He brought two!" Joly shouted.

Fantastic.

Only then did he look around the room and notice all his men clustered around a brown-haired girl, in a simple, blue dress. Then she looked up and her hazel eyes met his.

Oh.

Good lord.

He thought he had already seen attractive women before, but apparently, he had not. The girl met his gaze with a level, confident stare. She was very easily the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He could feel a pounding in his ears and the blood rushing to his cheeks. He swallowed as he struggled to keep his composure. Then finally looking away at the same time as her. But quickly gave in to the temptation to look back again. He felt his heart jump as he noted the pink on her cheeks. She tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear, and it made him feel things he had never felt before. Clearing his throat, he struggled to keep his self-control.

Should I go introduce myself? No. It's too late for that, you idiot.

As he was mentally contemplating his sanity, Combeferre spoke up.

"Now that everyone is here, shouldn't we get started?"

It took Enjolras a haft a second too long to realize he was talking to him.

"Uh- Yeah. Yes, we should." He stammered.

Standing up and tidying his papers, he addressed Courfeyrac about the pins.

"Actually, the tailor said he'll be delivering them this morning. So.." Courfeyrac informed him.

"Alright."

What am I doing? Get it together.

He went on with what he had prepared to talk about. "The people in the streets are getting more restless as the weeks pass by. General Lamarque has again asked the monarchy for consideration of the poor, to which he was given the same response, which we know means absolutely nothing."

He paused as they took the news in.

Just as he was about to continue, a confident but feminine voice rose above the others.

"But.. why? Why would they allow their own people suffer and starve?" The Girl asked. (He had decided to nickname her "The Girl" for the time being).

Everyone turned to look at her, and Enjolras was secretly pleased to have an excuse to look at her as well.

"They view the poor no higher than dirt."

"They tax us relentlessly."

"And treat us like trash!" his men answered her.

The Girl nodded. "So, what are you all going to do about it?" she asked.