Chapter 20

April 1832, Paris

Allete's Pov

.................................

Enjolras' Pov

"Allete," he whispered. "Please, wake up."

She didn't respond.

She'd passed out in his arms, only a block away from his apartment.

"She's out?" Grantaire asked his lips twisted in pity.

"She's fine." Enjolras ground out, picking up the pace while being careful not to hurt her. "She's going to be fine."

His breathing was strained as he turned her slightly in his arms, the movement jostling her injury despite his best efforts to be careful. He expected her to gasp or at least flinch in response, but she remained motionless; her eyes were closed, her face drawn and pale. Even her trembling had begun to slow.

Enjolras struggled to hide his panic.

Feuilly ran ahead and opened the door to his apartment for him. He carefully carried her in and laid her down on his bed. Not for the first time.

He stepped back, his arms finally relieved from the tension. He hadn't minded. He would carry her all over France if needed.

Her blouse was more crimson than white as the bandages Joly had applied at the prison had been completely bled through. The sight of her was both devastating and confounding to him.

Combeferre appeared at his side, resting a hand on his shoulder. The leader allowed himself to stare at her. He studied the exquisite planes of her face, the fullness of her lips, lashes soft and inky against her pallid skin. The reality of it all hit him like a blow to the sternum.

Joly appeared at the doorway, his arms full of medical supplies and cheeks flushed from running. His gaze shot to her, laid out on the bed. "How long ago did she go under?"

"Two minutes. Three?" Enjolras told him as Joly ushered them out.

"Wait out here." He shut the door and Enjolras and Combeferre joined the rest of the Amis in his living room. Most of the boys sat on the floor, all with solemn expressions.

Combeferre didn't meet his eyes as he murmured. "Enj, your shirt-"

It was covered in her blood.

Courfeyrac and Jehan looked up with guilty expressions.

Enjolras' spine went rigid at the sight of them. He stood up and marched over, Combeferre on his heels.

"What were you thinking?" he growled, barely keeping his composure. "You let them go alone!"

Their eyes jumped from his bloody shirt to everyone's expressions.

"What happened to her?" Jehan asked, looking at Combeferre for help.

"I can't deal with this right now." Enjolras muttered and sat with his head in his hands.

His head spun and his heart continued beating so loudly he almost didn't hear the knock at his door.