01

April 1st, 2023  - Damario Leone

"Today we put to rest my son, my beautiful baby boy." Voice overcame with deep entrancing grief and emotion Mrs. Althea Black stood before the church dressed in a knee length black dress with pearls lining her weathered neck and wrists.

A big black hat draping over her eyes in attempt to hide the tears crowding at her waterline.

"Giovanni was a good child, he was smart and loving. He would always tell me to be patient with every soul because it's their first time living too. No matter the circumstances he was always smiling and cheering others on." Her voice cracked making her husband squeezed her to his side. Hand rubbing up and down her arm.

"He wouldn't want to be remembered as the angel taken too soon, he would have want to be a symbol to others of his time here. For his life's work. Giovanni touched many hearts in his lifetime although he is gone, my son, your friend, your family, your lover," Mrs. Althea briefly met my eyes sparing a weak and tearful smile. "He will never be forgotten."

Handing the mic back to the priest Althea and Bernard made their way back to their seats the church deadly silent. Eyes pierced into me from all angles most probably confused why I haven't gone up and given my speech yet, after all Giovanni is-was my husband.

The truth be told my feet felt as if they were rooted to the floor. If I could think of a million things that terrified me this would be at the very top of my list.

My baby. My husband.

Gone, burying him on his birthday was enough to make my stomach turn and twist and my heart shatter all over again.

April had always been such an amazing month now turned bittersweet. I gained and lost the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's true, when April showers it pours but never in a million years had I expected it to in this way.

"Would anyone else like to come up and pay contribute to Giovanni." The priest's gravely voice echoed through the church, it wasn't until a small frail hand gently rubbed a wide circle into my back that I looked up only to be met with Althea's face.

Such beautiful dark brown skin and even prettier tawny eyes she reminded me of him in ways I couldn't even describe. Looking at her for too long made that painful throb come back in full throttle.

"I know you're hurting, son. I don't want to force ya up there, Gio wouldn't have wanted that but I do want to give you a chance ta say goodbye properly." Althea whispered, her hand never once stopping that motion against my back. She always had a way with words, I remember like yesterday meeting her for the very first time and seeing just how much Gio took after her.

Clenching my jaw and glancing up to the ceiling I fought to keep my tears at bay. I'd done enough crying for a lifetime. "Take your time." She whispered pulling me closer to her chest where she held me tightly, words of encouragement ghosting the shell of my ear. After a few minutes we pulled apart, a small smile on her face she leaned forward and pressed a kiss to my cheek squeezing my hand before allowing me to stand up.

Complete silence consumed the church as I slowly made my way up to the podium, the priest plastering a polite smile on his face. Standing in front of the podium overlooking everyone's sad and sorrowful faces for the first time in hours the lump in my throat seemed to lessen, even if it was only a little.

"I, I don't want to come up here and draw this out too long. Gio wouldn't want that, he would have hated having to sit somewhere listening to a long boring speech. He'd want us to be happy as crazy as that sounds," My voice caught a little making me press my lips together in a thin line before continuing, "he lived a good life, and loved a lot. He had so much more life to live and I know that he wouldn't want it to end here so, from him and me I'm asking you all to not mourn him but to appreciate all the time we shared with him and honor his memory. Thank you." Claps echoed through the church as I found my way to my seat next to Althea and Bernard.