Chapter 24 - Epsilon's Watchful Eyes

Start from the beginning

Epsilon's days transformed into an endless dance of shadows, stolen glances, and silent footsteps. The mansion's staff easily accepted Lila, the enigmatic new maid with the ever-present smile. But beneath the innocent smile lay keen elven eyes, always watching, always listening.

One dusk, a flicker of royal purple caught Epsilon's attention. Princess Alexia, with her distinct regal air, was quickly making her way towards Anos's chambers with Millia guiding her at the front. Alarm bells immediately rang in Epsilon's mind. What could the second princess possibly want with a 'suspected' member of the Cult of Diablos?

Staying several paces behind, Epsilon matched Alexia's every step. Years of training under Shadow-sama had taught her the importance of patience and precision. As the princess slipped into Anos's room, the weight of the impending conversation pressed down on Epsilon.

Realizing the direct eavesdropping near the door would be too risky with Millia guarding it, she decided to use the room above Anos's. She knew that the mansion, with its ancient architecture, had numerous hidden spaces and thin walls, making it an ideal place for gathering whispered secrets.

But as she settled onto the wooden floor above, ear pressed tight against the cold surface, there was... nothing. An eerie silence pervaded the space where she expected to hear the muffled cadence of conversation. Puzzled, she shifted her position, thinking perhaps she was in a spot that didn't carry sound well. But even then, she was met with an unnatural stillness.

A sinking feeling settled in Epsilon's stomach. She recognized the traces of magic when she encountered one. Anos Voldigoad, for all his outward warmth and charm, wasn't someone to be underestimated. He had used some sort of magical means to ensure that none could eavesdrop on his meeting with the second princess. It was a clever move, and one that left Epsilon thwarted.

"Damn it–!"

Frustration bubbled within her. She had been so close to potentially understanding the dynamics between Anos and the royal family. But the bastard ensured she was left in the dark, grasping at straws.

Receding into the shadows, Epsilon decided to change course. The true extent of Anos's capabilities and his shrewd calculations had become clear to her. He wasn't merely a foot soldier in the Cult of Diablos; he was a mastermind who left no room for error. The risks of her mission had just escalated significantly. The puzzle pieces fell into place, and Epsilon started grasping why Shadow-sama regarded Anos Voldigoad with such 'distinction'.

Instead of returning to her 'maid chores', Epsilon discreetly waited for Alexia to come out, sensing a crucial development in the offing. As the second princess emerged from Anos's chambers, the stark terror and pallor on her face were evident even from a distance. Epsilon's eyes narrowed in suspicion; what had transpired in that room?

Observing intently, she watched as the princess, in her dazed state, almost mechanically greeted Baron Kageno and his wife. It was a brief, distracted exchange, and Alexia hastily handed them an opulent envelope sealed with the royal insignia before making her hurried departure toward the capital.

Epsilon's instincts were on high alert. The disconcerted demeanor of Alexia after her interaction with Anos and her hurried exchange with the Kagenos hinted at a matter of profound importance. Resolute in her determination to unravel the mystery, Epsilon subtly readjusted her slime bodysuit, merging seamlessly with the shadows, and set her sights on the next point of interest: the Baron's chambers.

After ensuring Alexia was well on her way to the capital, Epsilon doubled back towards the Kageno residence. With deftness and skill, she evaded the guards, scaling walls and slinking through narrow passages, all the while mindful of the ever-watchful servants.