17: Until I Met You

Start from the beginning

I shook my head, deciding to tell him the truth. “I asked him if he knew about you going to the party, because I assumed that you would’ve gone with him, but he was still clueless and thought you were still mad at me for not agreeing to go with you.”

“Yea, I didn’t exactly tell Evan anything that happened this past weekend.” Cason said, cutting me off in the middle of my explanation.

“Could you not cut me off?” I blurted out rudely before I realized what I was saying. My eyes widened slightly as my words sunk in and I saw the surprised look on Cason’s face. “Oh god, I’m sorry. It’s just, when I got to school this morning, I asked Evan what happened at the party that made you think showing up at my house was a good idea and he had no idea what I was talking about. Once I explained vaguely what happened to him and you had been avoiding me ever since, he mentioned that you sometimes hang out at an old rickety pier to clear your head.”

“And you just thought that this was the one he was talking about?” Cason asked, with a small smile on his face.

I returned the smile softly before shrugging my shoulders. “I’ve been here before.” I answered simply. “Since you live right down the street from me I figured that this would be the rickety old pier he was talking about. Plus, it helped that he said it was on a private beach.”

Cason nodded in understanding, before taking a couple of deep breaths of sea air.

“So, why here?” I asked, resting my head on my knees as I turned my face to Cason.

Cason, who still had his bare feet swirling slowly on the surface of the water, simply shrugged his shoulders as he released a deep breath. “I guess it’s just peaceful here.” he replied, looking out at the water in front of us. “There are barely ever any people roaming this part of the beach, plus, the calmness of the water and the slight breeze is great for when I just need a place to think.”

“Sometimes you just need a quiet place to be alone.” I commented, adding my two cents into his train of thought. “That’s why I like it here too.”

As I kept my gaze loosely on him, I saw his head droop slowly, as if he was ashamed of something. I couldn’t figure out what was going through his mind at this moment in time until he started to speak.

“I’m sorry.” I heard, as his voice was just above a whisper.

I was shocked at his out of the blue apology, not understanding what he was sorry for. In my head, it should me apologizing since I came here and ruined his peaceful surroundings, however, before I could speak my mind, Cason continued on with his apology.

“God, I’m so stupid.” he said, speaking a bit louder than before as he ran one of his hands through his hair in a stressed manner. “I’m sorry for getting mad at you on Friday for something that wasn’t even your fault, I’m sorry for showing up at your door Friday night drunk off my face, and I’m sorry about ignoring you all weekend. With all the idiotic stuff I have accomplished this weekend, I think it’s sufficed to say that I am probably the worst friend you’ve ever had.”

“We were friends?” I asked jokingly, trying to lift this serious mood that was surrounding us.