Chapter 1: The Rooftop Encounter

Start from the beginning

As they sat in the tranquil rooftop oasis, the conversation unfolded, bridging the gap between their unfamiliarity.

She shifted on her spot, fidgeting with the edge of her scarf. "So, do you often play up here?" she asked, trying to keep the conversation light.

He nodded, a distant look in his eyes. "Yeah, it helps clear my mind. Music has a way of doing that."

She curiosity grew. "What were you playing? It sounded beautiful."

He smiled faintly. "Just something I've been working on. A mix of memories and emotions, I guess."

She sighed, her gaze fixated on the city lights below. The rooftop oasis provided a sanctuary for her thoughts, a quiet corner where she could reflect amid the chaos of life. The events of the day had left her emotionally drained, and she found solace in the cool breeze that whispered through the air.

"Memories have a way of haunting, don't they?" she mused, her voice carrying the weight of introspection. She spoke as if thinking out loud, acknowledging the power memories held over one's mind. The haunting nature of memories, she felt, was like having unwelcome guests in the corners of her thoughts, refusing to leave.

He, engrossed in his guitar, looked up at her and nodded in understanding. "Yeah, it's like these memories are ghosts, you know?" he replied, a thoughtful expression on his face. "They just stay there in your head, not wanting to disappear." He gestured with his hand, emphasizing the stubborn persistence of memories. "It's kind of like when you can't forget something, and it keeps playing in your thoughts, like a ghost that won't leave you alone."

Her eyes met his, and there was a shared understanding between them. It was as if the rooftop oasis had become a space for them to open up about the complexities of life, where words flowed freely in the quiet night.

"I get it," She said, a soft smile playing on her lips. "It's like they have a life of their own, these memories. They pop up unexpectedly, especially when everything else is in chaos."

He continued to strum his guitar, the notes resonating with the emotions of their conversation. "Exactly," he affirmed. "It's like they're hanging out in the corners of your mind, not ready to fade away, no matter how much you try."

He adjusted his position on the rooftop bench, creating a space for her to join him. She moved closer, the cool breeze playing with her hair as she sat down beside him. The melody of his guitar continued to weave through the air, and the distant city lights provided a serene backdrop to their growing connection.

After a moment of shared silence, he decided to break the ice. "I'm Manik, Manik Malhotra," he said, a spark of genuine interest shining in his eyes as he made his introduction. The laid-back atmosphere of the rooftop oasis surrounded them, making the moment feel comfortable and inviting.

"Nandini Murty," she replied with a small smile. However, if you paid attention, you could detect a touch of sadness beneath the surface. "You play the guitar really well. The music you played, it felt like it was telling a story about some deep hurt." Her words held a mix of appreciation and a sense of connection with the emotions embedded in the music. It was as if the melody mirrored a pain that many could relate to, creating a unique and somewhat bittersweet atmosphere.

Manik nodded, acknowledging the depth in her observation. "Music has a way of expressing what words sometimes can't. It's a language of its own," he explained, his fingers idly strumming the guitar strings. "I guess I've been using it to work through my own thoughts and emotions."

Nandini looked at him, intrigued. "Is there a specific story behind the music you were playing?"

Manik hesitated for a moment, as if contemplating how much to share. The rooftop oasis, with its sense of shared vulnerability, encouraged him to open up. "Well, it's a mix of memories and emotions, like I mentioned earlier. Some happy, some painful," he admitted, his gaze drifting towards the city below. "I find that playing helps me process everything."