Chapter 7: Oliver Bloody Twist

~Jack's Perspective~

He and Anya had to do a little sneaking around for the time being, but it was somewhat exciting for him at least. Deep down, Jack just wanted to marry her so they didn't have to sneak around anymore. But they couldn't, not yet at least. People would talk and Anya's family would disapprove, causing unnecessary drama. 

They were in a closet, kissing to their heart's content, because no one was around so they were free to act as they did in London. With the exception of not having sex. Finally they pulled away from each other before things got to carried away. 

"We have to stop." Anya breathed. 

"Yes, of course."

"They will suspect." 

"Mmm."

"Later." Then they went right back to it. Nothing mattered in these moments. They were together again.

Someone opened the door, Hetty stood at the top of the stairs. "If you've finished looking for bandages, they've vanished along with stethoscopes and scalpels. And there's a patient needing attention." 

~

Jack was tending to a patient with Hetty when the governor's wife or Lady Jane came into the room. He wondered why she was there, someone of her status wouldn't have been caught dead in such a place. But he knew Anya hated the woman so something had happened. 

"Milady." He said, after he realized she was standing right behind him. They walked into Prof's office to talk. Jack hoped she hadn't figured out what him and Anya had been up too. 

"My niece is greatly taken by your surgical skills, Dr. Dawkins." Lady Jane said. 

"Well, she has been a very good friend to me." Jack replied. "She's always been there like a friend usually is." 

"So I'm beginning to understand." Lady Jane said. "I invested a great deal of energy and time to place you here."

He stared at her unsure of what she was getting at. "And I'm enormously grateful, ma'am." 

"And I can see that you're a gifted surgeon." She continued, "and an asset to this hospital and town. And I will support you in that role."

"Thank you again, milady." 

Lady Jane sat next to him. "It is, however an entirely matter of someone of your station and background to spend time with my niece, whose bloodline is of Russian royal blood. At the risk of sounding blunt, we are pursuing a suitable partner for Anastasia in marriage, Doctor. it's not about mindless infatuation. Am I making myself clear?" 

"You are beginning to." Jack said finally. 

"Good." She replied. "Lady Anastasia will stay away from the hospital and she will marry someone of status and wealth, not a glorified butcher."

"And what of she doesn't agree with this view?" He asked. 

She glared at him. "You will not speak a word of this to my niece or your time here will be finished, do you understand?" 

"So, I have no say in this?" He was questioning her. "What am I expected to do when she turns up here at the hospital?" 

"Perhaps follow the same advice you gave to the intestinal worm." She stood up. "And encourage her to leave." 

~

Jack was outside, thinking, about everything. What Lady Jane had said, she threatened to ruin his life if he didn't walk away from Anya. But Anya had said she wasn't Anastasia Nikolova anymore, instead she always said Anastasia Jones.