Chapter 4: Confession

~Jack's Perspective~

A woman came in with a sliced throat, she needed a carotid ligation, Jack knew he could do it but Sneed won the coin toss. That was how they assigned surgeries. Jack had lost so it was Sneed's turn now. But he had won the last two. 

Sneed had just won when he looked over Jack's shoulder. "Lady Anastasia. What are you doing here?" It was Anya but she was wearing rich people clothes. Jack didn't recognize her at first. 

"I'm with my uncle to observe your work together." She replied. 

"He's scouting for Head Surgeon, I hope?" Sneed asked, he didn't get an answer. "Hmm, I think you'll find the charmel house of surgery rather upsetting, milady. This isn't a pantomime. There's real blood involved. If you'd like to assist, you might read to the convalescing patients. Most of them can't read a word." Then Sneed left the room, finally. 

Anya glared at him. "Uncle paid for that man's medical education." 

"Should've paid a bit more." Jack commented. 

"You're not going in?" 

"He won the coin toss." 

"That's how you assign surgeries?" She questioned. "What does she need?" 

"Carotid ligation." He answered. 

"Can he do it?" 

"Maybe." 

"Could you?" 

"Yes." 

~

The woman lived, thankfully, Jack still didn't think Sneed was up to the task but the woman lived so that's all that mattered. Anya and Jack walked outside, away from everyone. He was sad Anya had gone back, he was also wondering why. 

"Well, that was quite the performance." Jack commented. 

Anya nodded. "Just shy of an orchestra, Sneed's absurd." 

Jack agreed with her. "The surgery was competent." 

She scowled. "He's making a till for Head Surgeon." 

Jack hated the sound of that, Sneed was bad as it is, not just because he was rather rude. "Christ. He'll be insufferable." 

"It should be you." 

Jack shook his head. "No. I'm a surgeon. I'm not a pen-pusher. They'd hardly take me." 

"It's a paid position," She reminded him. "You'd have a house and salary. You could break from the life of thievery."

Jack glanced at her. "My thievery has been very occasional." 

"I should say it in your vocabulary." She cleared her throat. "This position is being stolen from you." 

"It is not based on cutting skill." Jack said. "I would have to hobnob in some grand house." 

Anya frowned. "If you mean my uncle's house, it's an estate. Head Surgeon is a position given to men my uncle finds familiar." 

"That's me finished, then." 

She folded her arms. "Hey, if I can help you with money, I can help you without money, so, let me help you." 

"Milady." He offered his arm. 

Anya laughed. "Don't call me that."

~

~Anya's Perspective~

Jack had to save Rotty's life a second time with another surgery, she was a good friend to Anya, despite her being a slightly older woman. She was nice, respectful, sassy even. Glad she was able to live another day. After it was over she went to go speak to Jack.