"Rest," Mom told me.

She snatched up my phone and laptop. "You won't need these right now."

"Wh-what if I need something?" I asked.

At this, Dad put the baby monitor on my bedside table. I gave them a look.

"Really?" I asked.

"Let us know if you need anything," Mom said.

They both left and closed the door behind them.

Resting wasn't easy. Dr. Daniels's observations had told us plenty. First, I didn't need to sleep as often anymore. All I needed was about five hours every 2 days. I was wide awake on most nights. Noon was around the time when I felt groggy but it wasn't too bad. My appetite had changed. I didn't feel hungry has much and one meal a day was enough for me.

Dr. Daniels had given me blood through an IV drip - something we hadn't told my parents about - and that had satisficed my hunger. It was only done once.

This is weird, I thought to myself.

I wrapped myself up in my blanket. I wasn't a vampire but not a human either. I was something I between. I was going to need some time to get used to that.

Dr. Daniels said he would take care of everything, but I didn't know what that meant. I didn't want to drink . . .

This new diet was also going to take time getting used to.

My parents moved around the house throughout the day. They even took a nap. I fought the urge to look for my phone. Maybe Mom was right. I needed to ease back into it. Once I started contacting people, my life would start to get hectic.

So, instead, I lounged around doing nothing.

It worked well up until dinner when my parents had me join them at the dinner table. Turns out, Dad ordered dinner instead.

"Don't forget to take your medicine," Mom said. She placed a bottle of pills in front of me.

The capsules were red. 'Take one as needed' was printed on the label.

Was this what he meant by "I'll take care of it?". Well, I wasn't going to deny taking a pill wasn't too bad.

I took my medicine before I could rethink it. Dad passed out our containers of fried rice. Mine was smaller than theirs.

"Dr. Daniels said you can't have large portions," Mom explained.

"That's fine."

We ate in silence. Considering what had happened, it was a relief to finally be home.

"Has Mr. Keys made any progress?" I asked.

Dad and Mom looked at me. Dad put his fork down.

"You know about that?" he asked, glancing at Mom.

I shrugged. "Yeah. So, has Mr. Keys made any progress?"

"No," Mom answered. "Alexander told us about what you went through and Mr. Keys got your statement. They're all trying to build a case. It'll take time."

"I'll testify," I told them. "I don't want them to think they can kidnap me and not face the consequences."

"You let us worry about that," Dad said.

"Okay." I picked at my food. "I don't think I'll graduate in three weeks."

Mom frowned. "I'm sure they'll let you walk the stage. You can get your diploma later."

"The school knows about your situation," Dad said. "We didn't tell them everything but enough to give you an extension."

"Yeah," I said. "But I have a lot of work to catch up on. So, without my laptop, I can't do much." I glanced at Mom.