05. THE PAGAN PRIEST

Doomsday. This was the first and only reaction Vinzer had as they explored the biggest subterranean catacombs. It was a network of tunnels under the Central Plains that span over the whole territory. Seeing that Vinzer didn't know anything about it, Rumi couldn't help cackling to himself and leaned closer to whisper, "Are you expecting an ancient ruin with hidden secrets?"

Vinzer stared at him blankly. "You do realize this place was so full of hundreds of years of dead bodies? This area alone stank, enough to get people sick and feel so disgusting!"

"Wow, you sound like a trueborn elitist," Rumi let the words sink in, mocking the other Alpha with tremendous satisfaction.

His eyes held Rumi's eyes with a newfound interest, especially when one corner of the other's lips turned up in a smirk. Vinzer shrugged his shoulders and tried to assume a look of casual indifference. He didn't want Rumi to avoid him and he would lie if he said that he wasn't disappointed when Rumi expressed his objection to the possibility of the role he might play in his life. Regardless, it was Vinzer's utter disregard for Rumi's bad-tempered manner that lessened the apprehension and changed Rumi's earlier resolution to get rid of him immediately.

It might be better to torment him a bit first, Rumi amused himself with this thought.

"Are you sure you know the way?" It was Vinzer who questioned his older brother.

Vasily was leading the way with Lev following closely behind and both Rumi and Vinzer walked side by side. "I'm sure of it," said the Elder. "These remains are from the same catacombs we have seen when we first visit."

"With Rolan," Lev said as he cased the walls like an inmate looking for weak links in a prison. "Why would a pagan priest hide himself in catacombs?"

"Pagan priests are mysterious travelers and allegedly their visions are guided by the ghosts of the fallen ones," Vasily explained this, searching for the small gap between the walls as their tour was making a little distance.

As they spoke, Rumi referenced his map that was made by his brother Rolan. "So, we're looking to go about a mile right through this wall?"

"Wow. You kidding me?"

He looked at Vinzer. "Would you like to help?"

Before they could start another round of endless bout, Vasily declared, "I think we're here."

Sure enough, the elder led them through a slightly larger space. This was much rougher but in its way, much more beautiful. Paintings and graffiti on the walls gave it an urban, cool vibe. On one side, half a dozen cataphiles sat on what seemed like stone bleachers cut into the wall.

"See? I told you I know the way," Vasily rejoined with a huge grin plastered on his face as a reminder. Yet as he gazed at the two Alphas, he immediately rearranged his expression.

In front of them was a silent version of an image that was an interesting blend of old and new. The wider concept depicted a classical opera house in the catacombs. There stood, a few feet away from them was a tall, slender man clothed in the finest velvet robe.

"Alas, the two of you came."

Rumi paused and felt a prickle of sensation climbing up to his spine. While Vinzer was loosening up a bit. He was more curious than afraid. Without a word, he reached his hand toward the other person, thought for a moment, but proceeded to touch the tips of Rumi's fingers. To his surprise, the other responded, albeit unconsciously, and intertwined their hands together...

┈┈┈┈ ⋞ 〈☪〉 ⋟ ┈┈┈┈

"Have you been expecting our arrival?"