06.

Colton's POV:

The next week is torture. Turns out June took my advice and started dating Matt. I see them everywhere, laughing, holding hands, even kissing. 

I groan every time I see them and Kai always pats my shoulder. 

Apart of me wants to get June back. I miss her. Maybe if I get her jealous, she'll notice me? I've been thinking about that, and I have the perfect person in mind.

Alani.

But I wouldn't date her for real, It would be fake. And she would know that. 

Currently, It's Friday night, and I'm at Kai's. We're in the kitchen, helping his mom with dinner.

"Can you get out the pineapple? I bought some yesterday?" Nani asks. I nod and open the refrigerator. When I close it, Alani is standing right behind the door. 

"Ahh!" I startle.

"Sorry!" She says with wide eyes, and her hands are in front of her, as if to calm me. 

"Colton?" Nani asks from her spot with a cutting board.

"Right." I give her the pineapple and walk over to the counter to sit down.

Alani sits next to me, pulling out her phone. I'm so bored that I look over, she's scrolling through Instagram. She clicks on her profile and opens another one. Lanireads13

She has a bookstagram account? I watch her scroll through her reels and posts. Some of them even have over 100k views. And she has, like, 6,000 followers. 

Nani announces that dinner is ready and we all sit down at the table. Nani at the head. Alani and Lilo on one side, me and Kai on the other. I find myself across from Alani again.

Dinner is nice, we all talk about random stuff. Alani is quiet, like me. Come to think of it, she's always quiet.

"Hey, Alani?" Nani asks.

She turns her head, while taking a sip of water.

Nani points her fork at her. "Have you ever thought about dating Colton?" Alani chokes on the drink and sends herself into a coughing fit. I widen my eyes and look at Kai. He tries not to laugh by covering his mouth with a hand. 

"Mom!" 

"What?"

"You can't just say that!" Alani walks up and whispers in Nani's ear. She widens her eyes and looks at me, with a closed mouth smile. Alani rolls her eyes and plops back down, not looking at me once.

She never looks up from her food again at dinner.

"Alani?" I ask, standing next to the sink to clear my plate while she washes some dishes.

She turns her head. "Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you?"

She glances at her mom and brother before looking back to me and hesitantly nodding.

I smile and lead her out to the back deck and onto the beach. 

We sit down on the sand. I bring my knees to my chest and she crosses her legs, fidgeting with her fingers.

"I have a proposition." I say, looking at her.

She looks up at me and gestures for me to continue.

"I, uh, I think we should..." I pause to clear the lump in my throat. "I think we should fake date."

"Fake date?!" She exclaims with wide eyes.

"Y-yeah..."

She softens her expression and slowly turns her gaze to her lap, fiddling with her fingers. "Why?" 

"I want to, um, I want June back. And I-"

"YOU AND JUNE BROKE UP?!" She gasps.

"Oh my god, shhh!" I extend my legs and hold out my hands.

She covers her mouth. "Sorry." 

I shake my head. "I just thought that maybe if she saw me with someone else, that maybe, she would get jealous and want me back." I say and shrug.

"No. That's valid. Actually this is like the plot of To All The Boys I've Loved Before." She smiles. "But I don't write love letters." Alani looks away towards the ocean. 

After a minute, she finally says, "Ok." And she looks at me. "I'll fake date you."

"Really?" I smile, shocked.

"Yeah." She shrugs. "You saw what happened at dinner. Mom's always trying to get me to date someone. And if it's you? Wow, she'll finally get off my back."

I stare at my new girlfriend. Well, fake one, that is. 

Alani holds out her hand and I shake it. "Lets do this." I say all serious, like we're about to start some montage.

She laughs, and it's this sound thats contagious and you can't help but smile. "When do we start?" She asks, smiling.

"Whenever." I say with a shrug.

"Well, I think we need some rules." Alani says, already standing up.

I nod. 

"Ok, you go sit down at the back deck table, I'll be right back." She runs into the house, and a couple minutes later, she pops back out with paper and pens. 

"We're making a physical copy?" I ask as she sits down, she looks at me with a look that says, "duh"

"Ok, heres the first one." She says grabbing a pen. "You can't kiss me unless it's a super important time."

"Why?"

She looks up at me and then towards the ocean. "I've never had my first kiss."

"What?"

"Don't make fun of me!" Alani covers her face with her hands. I reach over and pull them down.

"I'd never make fun of you."

Alani meets my eyes and blinks. "I just don't want all my firsts to be fake." She whispers.

We go quiet for a moment. "Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask. 

She nods. "Yes. I'm sure. I want to help you." She smiles at me and I can't help but smile back. 

We come up with more rules. 

THE RULES OF ALANI AND COLTON FAKE DATING

1. No kissing unless it's important. (kisses on the cheek are ok)

2. hand holding is encouraged.

3. Colton has to have a pet name for Alani. 

4. Alani must go to parties with Colton.

5. Colton has to watch as many romcoms as Alani wants with her.

6. No one can know this is fake.

"Is this good?" Alani asks as she unclicks her pen.

"One more." I reach over and snatch the paper and a pen. 

ALANI WILL GO WITH COLTON ON THE WINTER SURFING TRIP.

"Colton, thats in December, do you think we'll be doing this by then?" 

It's October, halloween just around the corner. "Ok, if we're still doing this, you have to go with me." I offer. 

"Ok." She nods. "What do we do now?" She looks up at me and she looks nervous.

"We tell your family?"

Alani's eyes widen and she bites her fingernail. "I'm nervous to do that." 

I reach over and pull her hand away to hold her hand. She stares down at our hands and back at me. "I can do all the talking." I grin.

She nods and eventually says, "Ok." And then she exhales and I notice her hand is hot.

"Let's do this." I say seriously again, she laughs.