CHAPTER SIX

Kang Ji-a stared at Sergeant Kim, her breath shaking

"There will be a public execution this morning. I'll alert Master Sergeant Tak." Sergeant Kim addressed the soldiers in the room before walking out, not sparing one glance at Ji-a.

She opened her palm, her hands shaking as she looked at the crumbled picture in her hand. She hoped that she'd at least meet one of them before she died.

A tear dropped on the picture as she swallowed a lump in her throat. She sighed, wiping her tears with her sleeve, and turned to look at Seok-chan, who had a look of sympathy on his face.

Ji-a averted her gaze from him and was suddenly grabbed by the arms of two soldiers, three of whom followed them with their guns trained on her head.

The soldiers dragged her towards the entrance, where the survivors stood waiting for the monster to be killed. Master Sergeant Tak stood tall with his arms behind his back as Sergeant Kim reloaded his pistol.

They dropped her on her knees in front of Sergeant Kim as Master Sergeant Tak stood next to him while her hands were tied behind her back. She glanced at Sergeant Kim, scanning his face for any emotion, but found none.

What did she expect?

He wasn't going to abandon his duties just because of her. She guessed that he was going to be the one to kill her with the gun in his hand.

"As you all know, Kang Ji-a is infected, and because of the last infectee's murder, we have opted to execute any human showing monster symptoms." Master Sergeant Tak announced, his voice loud and clear.

"We do not know exactly when she became infected, but as Master Sergeant Tak said before, all infectees are to be executed instead of being quarantined. There will be no favoritism during the executions, and all should be done fairly." Sergeant Kim added as he looked at Ji-a, who seemed to be accepting her fate.

"Do you have any last words?" With his pistol loaded, Sergeant Kim walked up to the raven-head, whose head hung low.

Kang Ji-a slowly looked up at him, her face cleared of emotion, and said nothing. Master Sergeant Tak signaled to Sergeant Kim, who looked at the girl for the last time and pulled the trigger.

Her body landed with a thud in the dirt as screams rang through the entrance of the base at the survivors' mixed reactions. Although a lot of them hated her, they didn't really want her dead, but it was too late.

A few men walked up to her body, kicking her to make sure she was dead. Sergeant Kim watched at the back of the crowd as more people surrounded her body. He checked the time on his watch and walked away, tucking his gun in his waistband.

He killed her.

_____________

While all of that was happening, a certain soldier stood in the middle of an empty room, comparing a photograph he picked up on the floor with one he had always kept in his pocket during missions.